How/where do you put in power steering fluid?

25

Asked by May 19, 2007 at 08:39 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

I cannot find the power steering fluid reservoir to check power steering fluid level

it is between the engine and firewall, and its like a foot down so you cant see it

it's near the firewall .

12,085

if your car has the 3.8 v-6, open the hood and look on the pass. side, up near the firewall, then look down and you will see a black cap with a white steering wheel on it- do not check it while the car is running because it is too close to the serpentine belt. it is tricky, but you should be able to reach it.

If your car has the 2.2 I-4, it is the same black cap with the white steering wheel, but it is located to thr right of the engine right there in front of you. Kinda hard to miss.

10

I haven't tried it yet , but from what I hear, I am going to remove the right front wheel, cut a access hole in the inner fender well by the power steering pump so I can see what I'm doing and get to the cap to check/add fluid. This isn't something that you have to get to very often, UNLESS you have a leak. You can cover the access hole with a piece of plastic using screws to hold it. This I believe would be the easiest method. Bill

10

I just checked the the power steering fluid on my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix and it wasn't too bad at all. I wrote the answer above and as I said I hadn't tried it but now I know I don't have to do anything except raise the hood, and with a flashlight find the cap, reach in with 3 fingers and remove it.Check it cold as it is marked on the dipstick. No problem.