Alternator to Battery Cable

5

Asked by Jul 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE

An AAA mope crossed the cables jumping my battery. The alternator got fried. After taking it out, I noticed the alternator feed to the battery was also cooked, and broke off at a melting point about 8 inches from the alternator. I need to replace this lead... my questions are:

1 - does this run directly from alternator to battery, OR have a fusible link in line, or run through a fuse block before the battery?
2 - what gauge wire and amp fusible link (if uses)do I need.

3,225

your best bet is to use an original equipment cable. that wire is the charge back wire for your battery. i wouldnt be surprised if it fried your battery as well. there shouldnt be a fusible link in that circuit where as the alternator itself should have an integrated voltage limiting device.

375

Also, if you think you may have hurt the battery which in this cause is somewhat doughtful...take the battery to a local Walmart TLE or auto zone..they can test it for free and see if its bad and how much CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) it may have...nice to know also. But definately use original equipment when running wires to anything that is under constant work such as an alternator..never go cheap under the hood!

I have this same issue in my 2004 grand am. Ive heard just run the wire straight from battery to alternator.which I'm about to do, But still question is does the wire from the alternator run straight to the battery?