Overheating

Asked by Apr 22, 2017 at 09:36 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE

My 2004 pontiac grand am was over heating last night and
now it stars smoking

75,485

Smoking out the exhaust would be a blown head gasket.

27,795

OR JUST HOT HOT.... OR CRACKED HEAD...DID YOU AT LEAST CHECK SYSTEM FOR COOLANT.. CHANGE THE THERMOSTATE

FOR SURE THE ENGINE GOT DAMAGED BY BLOWN HEAD GASKET SO THE BEST IS TO PUT A GOOD USED ENGINE.

27,795

dont assume anything yet...pressure test the cooling system

My Stepson said it started smoking so he pulled it over. I put some AF/W mix in it and it didn't start at all. It smelled like rubber.when I looked under the car a few minute later it was leaking something feirce. It was empty in a matter of minutes. It looked like it was coming from closer to the lower part of the engine. Long story short I called a friend and he Checked it out and was thinking it may be a coil. My SS went back later and it finally started, but he didn't put any this in again. Luckily he turned it right off. What I'm asking is does those sealents they sell work good enough to get it to stop leaking long enough to get it home about 15 miles. I understand it may very well be a leak in both the. C. Reserve and the radiator. Lol I don't think he even put fluid it once since he's had it for a few months. Thanks.

75,485

Putting a sealant in for me sitting here is a crap shoot, not knowing where the leak is. Lower part of the engine a frost plug could have popped out, or a lower radiator hose, or if the water pump is bad enough, the sealant would not work. I would figure on a tow.