My 2003 Grand Am V6 3.4L is making noise and I think it is comming from the A/C compressor. Do I need to fix it right away or can i get thru winter with it?

10

Asked by Jan 03, 2014 at 04:29 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

it sounds like it is making a grinding noise but not the whole time the car is running.

4,575

AC compressor will cycle on and off on some cars in the winter when defrost or recirculate is selected. A grinding noise is bearing failure. You'll need a new compressor but you don't want it to seize up on you either. There is a connector plug right behind the compressor pulley. Unplug it, this will disable the clutch until you can get the compressor replaced.

10

Norm first off let me thank you for your comment. If I unplug it, will it interfere with my heat in any way?

4,575

It will not affect your heat but you may notice slight fogging on the interior glass on cold days. (The AC cycle helps dry out the cabin air). Disabling the compressor will protect the rest of the system and is a good idea for now.

10

Thank you again Norm for the information. It will help me out a lot.