Rear calipers 2003 Grand Am GT

5

Asked by Jul 13, 2017 at 01:33 AM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT

I recently replaced the front brakes (rotors, pads, calipers) with a PowerStop all in one kit.  I need to replace the rear brakes as well now, but cannot find rear calipers anywhere (NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Amazon, etc) that are not remanufactured, and those are even sparse.  I am not a car guy by any means (give me a rifle, bike, or computer and I can do anything though) but it seems odd that places would make brand new calipers for the front, but not the back.  Would it be better to try to rebuild them myself, go with the remans, or what?  Would the front calipers work for the rear (longshot hope)?  Also, are they more or less universal that the rotors and pads I order will work with whatever calipers are compatible, no matter what route I go?

251,305

I only replace the calipers once they fail and that has only happened to one caliper in all the years of me driving. So your spending extra money for nothing. But remember only 20% of your braking is done by the rear brakes. If you want to replace them, go with the reman'd. It's the same casting, just new piston and seals. go to rockauto,com, there are a few to choose from.

5

The reason I was planning on replacing them, and why I've replaced the front ones, is because they are locked down almost all the way and they grind/squeel real bad while driving. The front ones were actually fully compressed and wouldn't release. The car more or less sat along the curb for about two years while I was trying to figure out a different issue and the brakes rusted real bad with being plowed over on one side and shoveled over on the other. Good to hear the remans will work fine though, thank you!

251,305

good luck on the swap, yes rust is a PITA.