How much is my 2002 Pontiac Grand AM worth with a blown motor?

Asked by Jan 17, 2013 at 07:31 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE, 4 door, 4 cyclinder, Eco-Tech motor. In May 2012 a shop told me I failed a compression test and that my motor was blown. The breask were fully replaced in Feb 2012 and in the year before that I had replaced the fuel pump assembly. The transmission was rebuilt in 2010 and around that same time I had my fly wheel and torque converter replaced. The interior is in fair condition, no tears and only a few burn holes. Paint is also fair, chipping on the right side of front bumper and little minor scrathes that ever car gets. I am also missing my hub caps because someone stole them. I know who steals hub caps. Also my battery is dead because it has been sitting. I have been told I should get a 2nd opinion because my timing belt can make my car fail a compression test. The shop I took it to (The Car Czar) didn't give me much info besidees that it failed. They didn't charge me and I don't know how honest they are so I am not sure if they are telling the truth. Should I get a second opinion? If so where? How much should I try and sell it for if the motor is blown? I would really appreciate any advice. I am clueless when it comes to cars and don't personally know anyone who does.

98,115

The Ecotec motor has a timing chain. It is a interference engine so if the chain was broken, the engine would not turn over without hitting the valves. Head over to GAOwnersClub.com to see what the car is worth.

If the motor is no good , you could piece it out for parts if you have the space for it . to sell it the way it is maybe you can get $500 for it .