Remotes work, security system works, but they do not communicate- any one know how to fix? Locksmiths are baffled

20

Asked by Apr 29, 2015 at 04:52 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

After collision with my Grand Am, it sat 4 years, but everything worked fine and could
be started and driven despite the front end being wrecked.  After changing out the
battery last year, the keyless remote fob stopped working- but had it tested and it is
good.  The security system is also good and can be set by using the door locks, but
the two do not communicate.  I have to make a mad dash to get the door open and
key in the ignition to turn off the security system before the horn starts blowing.  It is
getting embarrassing!  There are NO lights or security warnings, the only light on is
the airbags which I have not yet replaced.  Any ideas on how to reset or fix this
glitch?

7,590

You can read codes for a passlock using the code reader at the parts store. You can also have the system serviced and reset to relearn by GM. Then you could know if you have a failed part, or just need service. That's why they are there.