Brake Issues.......

225

Asked by Jul 09, 2008 at 11:05 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Coupe

I have a 2002 Grand Am SE1 Coupe (that I love...see "My Cars").  I have now put the third set of brake pads and rotors in the front of the car.  Now, when braking, hard or soft pedal, high or low speeds, I am getting a crackling noise.  I even get this noise if I am sitting still and apply the brakes, like before putting the car into gear.  

I put new pads and rotors in the front end about 5,000 miles ago, to try and cure this very situation.  it worked for about 4 days, now the noise is back.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

75

Well, I made a reply and then deleted it when I realized you have a Grand Am, not a Grand Prix, lol. Um, basicly though, what brand of rotors and pads did you go with, did you bed them in, and does it only make the noise when you are stopped and let up slightly on the brakes? The brakes on my Grand Prix groan a bit when I let up slightly on the bakes and the car inches forward, which is normal. If your brakes are making a crackling sound though, could be something else. Message me if you get a chance and I will see if I can help you figure out whats up.

85

take your calipers of and clean and lube slider pins. with a sicone based lube. petrolium based will swell the rubbers and cause them to stick. also clean and lubed the metal slides that the pads sit in. make sure they arent rubbing on the rotor when u put them back on. if this doesn't work then try new calipers. i have a 2001 ga gt. haver the same problem, it comes & goes keith munn

agreed to the above on calipers.

65

change your calipers if that doesnt work you have a proportioning valve that could be sending to much pressure to your fronts and not enough in the back. 60 to 70 percent of your breaking is in the front so if your back breaks arent working you put way to much load on your fronts.

225

It's not a creeping "groan" that I'm getting. It sounds like I'm driving over a bunch of really dry twigs, snapping, crackling, and just plain annoying! When I "inherited" the car from my folks, they warned me that I would be putting brakes in the car every 25K miles, but I've proved them wrong on that so far! LOL. I'm closing in on 95K on the car, and am only on the third set of pads for the front, and haven't touched the rears, aside from adjusting them. I'm going to pull it all apart agin, and give a good cleaning. My folks weren't the most diligent when it came to keeping the car washed and clean (they live on a dirt road in the country), so I'm guessing that it's probably a corrosion issue. I'll keep you updated!

35

i think i have the same problem i have a 2000 grand am and it sounds like a rusty spring being stretch when i step on the brakes and i have no idea what it is

now coul be worn out struts.cv joints or even a axle bearing going bad,now i dont think your problem is in the breaking system.

my problem is with the rear brakes squeeking while applying the brakes (new pads/drums/hardware all around) huh? Im thinking 'could the valve be sending too much pressure to the rear?' thanks man.

your suggestion is exactly what Ive been pondering...struts. so, along with Justins' idea of the proportioning valve, I hope that one of these is the problem and I can finally get rid of THIS SQUEEK!!!!

10

I have a 2002 Pontiac grand am also a gift from the folks.I have seen and helped my father change the brakes on it countless times!!! he also changed the calipers. the same.it eats though brakes way 2 fast!! its a fast 4 cylinder v tech I beleave? and I love the car:-) but the 60 to 70 ratio sounds like the best explanation. good luck 2 all god knows I need it lol

I'm also on my 3rd set in less than 1 yr, draining my bank acct.