Brake pedal to the floor???

Asked by Nov 23, 2014 at 04:08 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE1

OK, so I've replaced; the brake pads, rotors, fluid AND master cylinder, and it still
goes to the floor. The first thing I did before replacing the master cylinder I completely
changed the fluid (MAN was is dirty) trying the cheapest fix first, to no avail. After I
received the master cylinder I bled it as required prior to installing. After installing the
master cylinder I , again, bled the system. Now it does the same thing it did before I
started. I have read that I should change the master cylinder (even though it is new it
is a strong consideration). Is there ANYTHING else I should try first??

4,685

Bleed the system again. It sounds like you have air in the lines (since you did not mention any fluid leaks). Proper bleeding is critical so have someone help. Do not let the master cylinder pull in any air by keeping it full when the other person opens and closes each wheel valve. If you try to do it yourself, you would not be able to see if the master is sucking air when the wheel valve is open and the pedal depressed.

20

I know this post is old. But I had the same issue and putting this out there to maybe help anybody else. I inserted the brake pads backwards. Not with the wrong side facing to the rotor LOL. But believe it or not the brake pad with the indicator letting you know the brake pads are getting low had to be on the inside. When I had it the other way with the indicator on a outside of the rotor I could not get breaks I spent two days bleeding this fucking thing bought calipers all the way around the car and what is going to change the master cylinder and figured it was probably a waste of time but I tried it anyway and I'll be damned if it did not fix the problem.