Car will crank but not start

Asked by Jan 16, 2016 at 07:00 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Hello. On Wednesday morning I started my
car and while it was warming up it cut off.
At the time the tank was on E. I put gas
and heet in the car but the car will start up
for a second and then cut off. Now the car
is just cranking up but not starting. Can
you please tell me what the issue might be.
Thanks.

80

make sure car has 1/4 to 1/2 a tank, then check fuel pressure. I believe your car has a valve on its fuel rail where the fuel injectors attach. It looks similar to tire valve. You can get a fuel pressure gauge for like $20 at advance auto and attach it to the valve i mentioned and turn key to run position then off. Do that 3 times and check gauge. Not sure actually what numbers your car needs but id say 40-60psi is normal on most cars. then start car and see what kind of pressure you have. If you have no pressure, id say bad fuse or plugged fuel filter, fuel pump relay, or pump.

70

If you don't have at least 1/4 gas in the tank on the regular basis you can wear out your fuel pump. In extreme heat and cold you need fuel to keep the fuel pump working cool at those times. If you're warming it up chances are it's cold out and you probably killed your fuel pump, change the filter and have the fuel pump tested.