2000 Pontiac Grand Am that is in perfect condition but recently "will crank but not start" .

20

Asked by Feb 21, 2017 at 04:43 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT Coupe

The 2-year-old battery is fine. Just replaced Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Spark
Wire Set and all was fine for about a week. It was starting and purring like a
kitten. Then slowly started to hesitate and finally would not start. Funny
coincidence is that on two occasions, we put in neutral to push out of my
garage so AAA could tow it, and it started immediately - no hesitation at all.  
So my 2000 Pontiac is currently back at the service station as they try to
replicate the issue but it is starting fine. Another note, this all seemed to start
after having the car in collision shop for about 10 days to have the rear
bumper replaced. I do not know how that could have triggered anything but
worth a mention.

20

Thanks, Justin, I just talked to the repair center that is working on my car and apparently, they considered this and did not believe that is the cause of my "cranks but won't start" ongoing problem. They did just uncover a couple pending codes U1016 and U1040 but have not been able to replicate the "failure to start" event in order to confirm it is related to the problem. Since I am not an expert at all, I have been trying to do some research and probably driving them crazy. I do not understand how an "electronic brake control module would cause my car to "crank but not start". In looking back, the problem seemed to start occurring after having my car in a collision shop for about a week having my rear bumper replaced. I had been re-ended at a red light by someone who started to move forward before I did, so it was a very low- speed event and you could barely see the damage, yet the bumper needed to be replaced. Doubtful any other damage occurred and the other vehicle had zero damage. I had assumed the battery had just run down while in the shop causing failure to start, but apparently, the battery is fine and only two years old. I hate to keep throwing money at this when no one seems to know what the actual problem is. Maybe need to get it running good enough to trade it in. A 17 year old car in otherwise great shape inside and out. It has sentimental meaning to me as well.