2001 Grand Am camshaft position sensor I need to know how to replace it

Asked by Mar 30, 2016 at 06:08 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT

I need to locate camshaft position sensor
and replace it can you tell me how

Michael, you didn't say which engine, but I would suggest you check out you tube. I found several excellent videos on how to do it.

On the 3400,it's right under the power steering pump. Right above the oil cap, you'll see an electrical connector. That's where you disconnect the CPS. Remove the power steering pump (actually not that difficult - YouTube is a great place for a how-to) to get access to the CPS. Removal of the CPS is 1 small (~7mm if memory serves) bolt. Pull the sensor straight up to remove. It may be difficult to pull out, but there is a plastic flange you can gently pry up on. Installation is the opposite of removal. Had to replace mine a few months ago; engine was taking 2-3 seconds of cranking to start before I replaced it.

I should clarify that on mine, I didn't have to remove the PS pump entirely. I just disconnected the low pressure return hose (the one with the hose clamp, not the one that bolts onto the pump), unbolted the pump, and moved it out of the way.