Service engine and service vehicle lights on...brought in 3x...

Asked by Feb 20, 2008 at 09:25 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

changed oxygen sensor, replaced catalytic converter with after market item-then that was no good-replaced again with after I'm told that the 'AFTER MARKET" converter is not comaptable with my car.  For a meer $205, I can have it replaced (3rd time) with manufacturer any ideas?  Is this the problem?  What's up with this car?  It's looking like daytime on the dash, and no on can get it right!

I would try a new mechanic.

Definitely. Catalytic convertor may be your problem, or perhaps not. Have Pontiac dealer that you trust take a look at it.

when they replaced the converters, did they "erase" the trouble codes? gas caps are common "check engine" triggers on these models. You might want to ask the mechanic that you choose to hook up his diganostic computer to the car through the OBD port and take it for a drive, so he can see what the sensors are saying. Best of luck

Best Answer Mark helpful

I'm thinking I will take your advice and "move on" lol to another mechanic. I can't imagine that mine is the only car in the world that is "not compatible" with an after market item....(not once, but twice so far....AND my mechanic is the one who recommended I purchase it! Any other comments are welcomed here :) Thanks

OOPS....why yes they did What about the service engine light simultaneously on with the check engine light? Does one have to do with another, or are they separate problems?

Sometimes they are related, I think once you find a new mechanic all this will go away (I hope, for your sake). Keep us posted, Thanks.