I have a 00 pontiac grand am my starter went out. I replaced it then it went out again a week later. Thought it was just a defective starter, so i replaced it again. I go to start it and gets nothing.

Asked by Oct 16, 2014 at 08:33 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

19,000

How good is the battery and alternator? Where are you getting the starters from?

the battery and alternator are fine the car have great power but when i go to start it it doesn't turn over and the starter came from auto-zone..

19,000

How good is the battery and alternator? Are your connections at the starter clean and tight? Are your wires to the starter free from corrosion and nicks in the insulation? Where are you getting the starters from?

19,000

Is the starter the cheapest one they sell?

battery is good alternator is good have excellent power in the car there is no corrosion. i bought the starter from Autozone. It came with shims but i didn't put them on could that be the issue?

19,000

If it came with shims you may need them. The starter might be too close to the flex plate.

64,355

Just to add to what Trans,am is saying,i changed out 3 starter,s on a taurus last week,all auto zone starter,s,went bad within two day,s,,but finally got hopefully a good one on the third change,,,still got my finger,s crossed >x

19,000

Thank you T_S_T. I'll keep mine crossed for you as well.

605

You may also want to check the teeth on the fly wheel, if standard tranny or the flexplate if an automatic.