Overheating!

30

Asked by Aug 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

I have a 2000 Grand Am Gt lot of miles 180k mostly highway. Have had inlet manifold
gasket and thermostat replaced, fans work ok but losing radiator fluid after running and got
keep putting water in reserve just to run: temp gauge goes up. Engine seems fine no
water in oil clear as can be. Looking for some assistance even mechanics seem a bit
puzzled. Would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

7,045

adding plain water will cause it to boil out, can you smell antifreeze at all? Wet passenger floorboard maybe? Have seen cylinder heads and gaskets fail and actually burn the coolant rather than getting pushed into the oil. Do you have a cooling system pressure tester that is the best way to see if you have a leak

I agree with Chris...get a pressure tester and discover a plugged radiator~

Never use plain water...are you out of your mind? It will Instantly rust your block and coolant passages...have had experience with my 73 Toyota Celica on the way to Los Angeles had to stop and let 'er cool down every fifteen minutes....a long trip~

you could use a spot thermo gun to find the hot spots~

5,345

Without any visible leaks or puddling under the car and no water in your oil or inside your car (heater core), I would suspect a blown manifold gasket but Chris is right - Get the system pressure checked to determine where the leak is.

40

I had this exact problem last summer. If your car is still alive, spend the 150 bucks to get your red flushed out.Chances are there is a blockage somewhere (especially if the is a brownish residue on inside of reservoir). If it does not get cleaned out properly with a new thermostat your chances of blowing your head gasket is inevitable. If your engine gets too hot like mine did the aluminum heads.will warp and jam inside the cylinder, causing a very disappointing morning en route to work.

30

I will check thank you ! I do believe we found the problem the radiator overflow tank and cap needed replace seems to be running real good for now. Temp about 200 was 190 but not bad. Thanks abunch!

40

It should stay around 200, At least my new to me Grand Am does. Just keep an eye on it bud. Cuz when it goes, it's not coming back.

15

BuRnT_AvEnGeR answer is the best. my car had this residue built up in one of the tubes

380

air in the system bleeder valve on top of yours thermostat

30

2004 grand am is runing hot the water is going out the exhust what do i need to do there is no oil in the water?