Overheating

Asked by Mar 04, 2016 at 08:24 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I put alumaseal in my car last week
because coolant was leaking but it wasn't
on the ground. But my car is still
overheating. Is it possible that I have a
blown gasket

17,280

Have you replaced the thermostat and is the radiator fan coming on ?

I haven't replaced the the thermostat and how can I tell if the fan is coming on?

17,280

First replace thermostat and check fan operation by letting vehicle idle open hood and look and listen for radiator fan to come on once vehicle is near operating temp. Radiator and fan is in front of vehicle.

15,605

This might work in an emergency, but, not a long term solution. Get your car properly fixed if you want to stay on the road. Don't know if you have a blown head gasket, but, you should have it checked out by a professional if you don't know what to do. It's an expensive fix. Don't keep driving and cause more damage to your car.

1,610

Look at or oil if creamy color antifreeze leaking into engine and means blow head gasket. Same should be happening to your antifreeze, you'll see oil mixed in. If you have low antifreeze it could be bubbling out while your driving cause its to hot. Typically if you have a bad thermostate it sticks and won't open and than blows a hose or something because of pressure. If you start car and put in a/c mode usually fans will start working or like other guy mentioned once it reaches operating temp and rises it should kick in. I at this point suspect your radiator might be clogged with build up, if so just buy new one, it never works to try to unclog. Go online for good price if so

1,610

Also if easy to get to you could just try replacing thermostat its a nice place to start and see!

I've checked the engine oil and it's not a creamy color. I also don't see any oil from what I can tell I also don't see any oil mixed in with the coolant. I'll change the thermostat first and see if that resolves the issue.

15,605

Hubbard31- you're wasting valuable time..... the worst thing you can do is drive and overheat your car. It takes a toll on the cooling system and engine. Have your car taken to a professional and get it properly repaired. Whatever you spend, it will be less expensive than buying a new or late model replacement vehicle.

1,610

Hubbard 31 is right never drive till overheats but you can look for few obvious things if you know what to look for, if not mechanic is a good choice. Did fan go on?

The fan is on but I'm not getting any heat in the car.

115

Also look for bubbles coming out of the radiator overflow. This would be exhaust getting into the coolant from a blown head gasket. If this is the case, no stop leak yet made will fix this problem. This is also the time to consider a valve job, as the head will be off. Also have magnafluxed, as a cracked head is another possibility. If this is a V-8 do both head gaskets, especially if this is an older engine.

1,610

Hubbard you sure you have enough experience for this, jus concerned? The fan I'm talking about is right behind the radiator, not inside car. That's heater fan.

I have no experience with cars that's why I'm coming to you guys. But I know in my gut I know it's a blown gasket even though I don't show any of the known symptoms. I just don't have the money to get my car fixed or buy a used one.

I put more coolant in the car and I was able to see coolant on the ground. But then the car started smoking so I popped the hood and it appears the smoke was coming from a hose in back of the engine.

115

It looks like your lucky day! Check all of your other hoses too. Especially top radiator and bypass hoses as these run the hottest,and usually fail first.

Why is it my lucky day?

1,610

He's sayin or lucky cause jus may b us hose! Replace it than u will see.

I had somebody look at the car and he believes the thermostat needs to replaced a one of the hose because he saw where the leak was coming from when he put coolant in it.

Update. I replace the thermostat housing on my car but apparently I never had a thermostat in my car and I replace the hose to the heat censor. Everything appeared to work fine my low coolant light when out and the gauge stayed at 200 until I started driving and I notice smoke coming from a section in front of my engine. It appears to be coming from the box thing that the exhaust hose is connected to

115

If it is an exhaust problem, you probably have a very noisy car! Otherwise I suspect an additional bad hose. Have a good mechanic look at this thing before you blow the engine sky high!