what type of gas does my grand am pontiac gt v6

Asked by Dec 14, 2012 at 01:14 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

33,615

Regular

33,615

When I say regular i mean the least expensive.

2,905

87 octane.

20

Its best to get supreme, I have had trouble with regular (cheap gas) save on repair costs and get supreme your car will thank you

33,615

The only reason running regular would cause any issues is if the car has a high compression engine and none of the engines that cane in that grand am see high compression, you will be fine running regular/87

20

Not really, mines is still stock the only thing I added was a cold air intake. Just to be safe I would def get supreme gas, all of the mechanics I've been to recommended it after working on my car for issues like my car not starting or replacing fuel pump and fuel filter because of clogs etc. Most people refer to anything 87 and under as gas you should only use for lawn mowers. I've never had any problems with my grand am gt 03 other than problems related to cheap gas.

20

My car is also a V6

33,615

87 octane doesn't clog fuel pumps or fuel filters, your car probably didn't start because you didn't do the routine fuel filter changes which resulted in your fuel pump working harder which resulted in it falling sooner than it should have. Yea take advise from the guy that put a cold air intake on a car that already had ram air. You may see a slight increase with gas mileage and you also probably start the car a little easier in negative temperatures, but any hard starting issues you have other than when it's -5 F is a result of neglect, not octane.

20

I actually put the fuel filter in on my own and it works pretty well with it in, have had it installed for 2 years now. Besides the point allot of mechanics etc never recommend "cheap" gas for any car. Basically you get what you pay for. Thats the rule of thumb, I own a pontiac grand am gt and based on what I've seen from other car care forums etc it never hurts to go above and give your car atleast midgrade to best products.

20

quick revision: I put the cold air intake in on my own and it works well, I take could care of my car any slight issue and routine replacements etc I get them done on time. I am certain that with better gas = better preformance.

Tempersun22, your thought of putting 87 octane gas in a lawn mower is the worst idea I have ever heard. Small engines like that do terrible and will not last very long at all with that much ethanol. My lawnmowers along with my snowmobile all get 91 octane. For the car you don't need to run a high octane fuel. Most 6 cylinders don't suggest anything higher then 87 but you can run better if you want. My car is a 97 Dodge Intrepid V6 3.5L. These engines are the best engines of their time and suggest you run 89 octane fuel or higher because of what they are capable of. If you don't believe it then just look at the new Dodge Chargers and Dodge's other newer cars. They mostly have a V6 3.6L which is the same engine as the one I have just bored a little bigger. If you go and look in your car manual it will say what octane fuel to use. Plus I'm from Wisconsin so my car endures cold weather and handles just fine. Just like most vehicles around here with 87 octane fuel do. Thanks, Rant over

10

I have a 2003 grand am gt and regular gas is eating the shit out of my car its supposed to be a gas saver what's up with that? I gotta fill up the tank twice a week that's ridiculous

Honestly yes 91 octane is the best hands down i have a supercharged 3.8l grand prix gtp and a 3.4l grand am se as well as a 2.4l (4cyl) cavalier all of which eat 87 octane fuel and i know multiple people who have blown there v6 engines running regular fuel. Spend the extra couple bucks and save your motor. Run premium!!