clicking noise

105

Asked by Dec 31, 2008 at 06:14 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

where i live it gets extremely cold and when i start my car in the winter it makes like a squeky clicking noise coming from the engine btu its only in the winter is it something i should b worried about

10

if its a sqeeuky noise it could be a belt if it a ticking noise its probably a stuck lifter which really isnt that much of a problem all you need to is run a thicker viscosity oil and u probably should throw some engine restorer into it to lube every thing up and re fortify the walls of the cylinders

105

ite thnks so would the cold weather have anythin to do with the oil cuz cold makes liquids expand just a thought

10

no the cold weather would only make the oild a little thicker theres no fluids in and engine that could expand unless u have stariaght water as coolant if that were the case as soon as it froze out side ud have a cracked block and ur car would not even run soo no the cold weather wont expand ur fluids how ever i do recomend checking ur fluids just to be safe

1,855

Do not run a higher viscosity oil - this is pointless at it will be too thick in the windter. The noise your hearing is either the serpintine belt or the power steering system - this is a common concern with many products - the question is, does it go away after the engine is warm or after you drive it for a little while? if it does not go away, that can be cause for some concern. if it doesn't go away after the engine is warm or has been driven, i would recommend having it looked at.

105

o ite im not usually driving it long enough in the winter for the engine to warm up so ill try it thnx bra

15

Its probably something that probably got stuck if you run the car a while it should go away, if it doesn't then you might just wanna go see a mechanic and ask them.

105

ye after it goes for a while the noise stops

35

it is probably like kyle said with the belts and everything is cold and kinda sticks and you said that it goes away after a while and that is probably because once everything gets warmed up it runs fine, as cars get older these kind of things start happening but it is nothing to worry about

105

solid haha

5

my car has a clicking noise too, but my son tells me all Grand Am's do and it come from the lug nuts on the wheels, especially the front driver side, not being tight enough.

35

umm i dont know, i have a grand am and i dont have a clicking noise even with 165000 miles on it and if it is coming from the bolts it would be somthing rubbing but i mean there are a ton of things it could be

105

no i was talking bout the engine squeaking when its cold out but mine does the same thing wit the wheels but thenks anyways

1,225

you may have a serpentine belt pulley that has gone round and round way too many times.Idler pulleys are cheap to replace.I had one on a Lexus LS-400 that went out and since Toyota parts interchange on a frequent basis,it was $16.49........thats not bad at all.Cold weather tends to make weak parts raise thier ugly head up and make noises.

89,735

The GA V6 is known to have piston slap when the engine is cold. The pistons have short skirts and they wobble a bit until they expand.

I have a 2006 grand prix and there was a squeaky clicking noise coming from under my hood. I thought it was my serpentine belt, so I bought and new one and while I was changing it I noticed the bearing in my water pump pulley were going out. I changed my water pump and no more noise.