The secruity light is on in my '99 Grand Am. What does that mean?

20

Asked by Sep 04, 2007 at 11:41 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

I parked my 1999 Grand Am in my driveway and I tried to move it about 20 minutes later to allow more room in my driveway and the car just wouldn't start. It acts like it is going to and iit turns over but the car won't start. For some reason the security light is blinking? I would think it would do that if it was "hot-wired" or the wrong key used or something. But that is not the case for me. It is the same as I have always driven it. Can Someone please help? I am a single mom and have no one that has a clue about cars and being a single mom of 2 I just don'r have the kind of cash to bring it to a garage and U have been missing work because of the lack of vehicle. It would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

14,385

Hi Watrod69, This is a common problem with your Grand Am. Unfortunately, this can only be remedied by taking it to your local dealership. Good luck!

20

Actually I finally buckled down and took my car into the mechanics. I was sweating bullets over nothing. $80.00 later my car is up and at 'em and never drover better. It needed it's crank sensor strightened and the cam sensor replaced. Now she's all better. Thanks for your help though!

Best Answer
40

dont no exactly what it is but when it happens turn the key to where all the dummy light are on dont turn the motor over but let it sit for about 10 mins and then start it resets the brain happens to me all the time.. and like you cant afford to pay for the fix

96,955

himasquid72mc is correct about leaving the key in the "on" position. The Passlock system is active when the security light is flashing. Turn the key on for ten minutes or until the light stops flashing. Turn the key back to off and start the car normally. You might have to give it some gas at first to keep the engine running - mine always stumbles a little at first. Sound like your garage "COULD HAVE" (not accusing anything) turned the key on and charged you for knock sensor straighting or whatever that was. For more Passlock info - go to GAOwnersClub.com and search.

550

You need to turn the key on not cranking it and let sit for 10 minutes after that it will reset it. But might do this again later in the future.

96,955

"How to fix it" from Grand Am Owners Club - http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139899

10

Mine poped on i killed it and it fired right back up no problem at all

My fiance has the some thing it h just started today security light coming on we turn it off it goes out as we were driving it comes back on he needs his car for doctors he does not have the money to fix it we live in manchester twp in pine lake park