I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT. I just replaced the lower intake manifold Gasket due to a coolant leak. And its still leaking coolant. Any ideas?

Asked by Jun 24, 2014 at 01:17 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr GT Coupe

4,505

Sorry to have to make you take it off again. Check the mating surfaces with a metal straightedge. Use only a minimal amount of silicone gasket cement - some mechanics install these gaskets dry and they still work just fine if the surfaces are clean (surgically clean, that is). If the mating surfaces aren't absolutely flat then the engine has overheated at some point, and you won't get a decent seal unless you have them both machined.

Best Answer

Here the thing I didn't do it. I took it back to the mechanic right after it happened and he said its just coming out of the overflow and it should be fine. But I drove it again and it keeps happening. Especially at high rpms. When I accelerate hard the low coolant light comes on and I hear a squeak in the engine like a wet belt then I stop and turn it off and its leaking everywhere and its all steaming and stuff. I have no clue what to do. Some people said water pump? Not sure

4,505

Belts will squeak anytime they get wet, it doesn't mean the water pump is at fault. You'll need to find where the coolant is coming from before trying to diagnose the problem. Blast everything dry, take the car out for a short ride, check the engine for anything wet. Keep doing that until you locate where it's coming from. Some leaks only happen in a hot engine, so it m ay take a few trips to nail it.