1992 Pontiac Grand Am Removal of Ignition Cylinder

10

Asked by Jan 09, 2013 at 02:21 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

Attempting to remove ignition cylinder from car. There is a cable going through the cylinder which keeps
me from removing the cylinder. On one side of the cylinder is a small red latch and a small screw. Thought
that would enable me to remove the cable, however, cannot do so. How can a remove the cable from the
cylinder allowing me to free the ignition cylinder from the car.

96,995

I'm not sure on the '92. On the other GA's the cable goes to the gear lever and allows the key to be removed in Park. Go to GAOwnersClub.com to check. You might have to disconnect at the other end.

5,650

Is there a small hole on the front side of ignition cylinder? If so I belieave you put the key in and you may have to turn it and stick a paper clip in that hole and push in on it. or put the key in and try pushing the red botton while turning the key Or is there a clip of some kind on the cable? Just sugestions

10

Problem is, I don't have a key

5,650

Is there a screw or pin on the side of the tumbler block?

10

As you look at the picture, there is only a red tab on that one side and a small housing where the cable is attached (not a screw or pin)

5,650

I blew the picture up looks like there is a pin on top of the tumbler system?

5,650

Are you replaceing the whole ignigion switch or just the tumbler assembly?

10

The whole cylinder including ignition switch. Unable to locate keys and AAA and 2 other locksmiths said they need to have the whole cylinder to make new keys. One locksmith spent over an hour at our house with no success.

5,650

I guess I would look on that site that tenspeed put on here and see what they say. I am at a lose now

5,650

I think he ment GM and not GA But not sure

10

There is a GA (Grand Am Club) site.

5,650

Oh you just lost the key? you can take your title card with the vin# and proff of ownership to a GM dealer and they can make a key from that info

5,650

I have done that before here in Minnesota

5,650

Just call around to your local GM dealer ship before running around and wasteing gas. They can take the vin# and put it into their data base and get the key code and cut the key. But you have to prof you are the leagle owner of the car. Be alot cheaper than replaceing every thig and easier the way it sounds. Let me know if that helps. Thanks

10

Unfortunately, this is a replacement cylinder in the car. The VIN number is for the replacement of a Mfg. installed starter/cylinder. (Gets better all the time!)

5,650

Sorry wish I could have helped you