Car bogs down and gets slightly hot in highway cruising speeds

Asked by Jun 20, 2017 at 05:29 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

Hello I have a 95 Oldsmobile cutlass sl. It overheats just
slightly when I get on the freeway and then bogs down
and won't accelerate and eventually dies out. I wait for 15
- 20 minutes and it does fine again until it gets hot. Just
replaced about everything to do with the cooling system.
Not sure why this is happening PLEASE HELP

295

Did you change the temperature control thermostat sensor in the block?

No I didn't I just changed the coolant temp sensor today and that seemed to help a little bit. Where is that located?

It runs just fine until I reach high speed then it sputters and bogs out and won't respond to me pushing on throttle, I pull over and it idles rough then shuts off

295

Its located in the photo I posted

It stays at this temp in the picture. Fan kicks on without ac on. There is also a high loud pitch sound, idk if that has anything to do with it.

Yeah I put a new one in today and still same problem

295

The temp stat looks like this

295

The temp showing looks fine what temp thermostat did you install a 195 or 180 deg

195 I believe. I just don't understand why when I get on the high it will bog down

295

What do you mean by high speed bogs? What speed are you travelling. Does it seem to hesitate then go then hesitate again?

Yeah now I just figured it doesn't matter for high speeds. I let it idle just now for 15 mins then put it in gear and it started bogging out

Put in bypass pipe for catalytic converter, GM used a pellet type and sometimes the pellets would fuse to the barrier in the unit.

Ok, what about removing the thermostat and leaving it off? Will that affect anything?

295

If it bogging out idling and at higher RPM's then I would be looking for a possible intake plenum leak. Is it throwing any engine codes ?

It ildes good for the first twenty or so minutes then it starts to idle at low rpms and pretty roughly

No engine codes btw

4,245

No. You need a thermostat to make the engine run at the correct temperature. Forget about your cooling system. You can see by your temperature gauge that it's not overheating. It's another problem that occurs at normal operating temperature. I think checking the catalytic converter is a good idea.

How do I tell if it is bad? The catalytic converter that is

4,245

Any muffler shop should be able to evaluate it. That and a repair estimate are free at most shops.

If possible, without damaging the rest of the system, unclamp/unbolt the catalytic and put in a bypass pipe. OR get an exhaust pressure tester (one is made by ashcroft) and plug in where the O2 sensor goes, the exhaust pressure should not go above 2 - 3 psi

Thank you guys for all your intelligence! Greatly appreciated.

Hey guys where can I find the oxygen sensor terminal?