why won't olds cutlass start

5

Asked by May 29, 2014 at 08:41 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

95 olds cutlass 3.1 V6. Won't crank with switch, all bells and whistles work but starter
won't engage. I can jump solenoid at starter and it will crank and immediately die. Fuses
on fender well are cleaned and good, new battery and cables...Help!!

345

I suspect a security system problem. Does your key have a resistor chip in it near the base of the key shaft? Do you have a security light on the dash? What does it do when you turn the ignition on?

Best Answer
10

Had the same problem with my 87, it died while driving, cranked but didn't turn over. Make sure ur cap and rotor are good but mine turned out to be the ignition coil. Try your luck with that, I'd also replace the ICM (ignition control module) if ur replacing the coil. -Anna