what is the difference between the 1993 3.1 and the 1994 3.1?

35

Asked by Jun 26, 2008 at 01:54 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr S Coupe

445

theres no difference really, they just put a cover over the intake plenum, and i think thats about it really.

4,425

In addition to the last reply about intake plenium, which also means the intake gaskets will be different also the ignition coil is now on top of the rear valve cover, valve covers also have a different design. Though I heard the plastic valve covers were bad for leaking and that GM parts department no longer stocks them anymore instead of Multiport fuel injection, it is Sequential Fuel Injection Intake plenium and/or cylinder head optimised for more horsepower and torque. I know with a 1999 MY and 2000 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L the change in design of cylinder head intake airflow and plenium allowed for extra 20 Horsepower and about 10 ft lbs torque from 1999 MY. Location of EGR valve and type is also different Oil fill location is now on front valve cover Oil pan on 1994 may have ribbed design and a provision for a low oil level sensor thermostat location may have changed Though the similarities, I like to share water pump is most likely the same and the oil pickup shaft o ring is the same

55

The '93 LH0 "3.1" was basically a stroked version of the 2.8 found in earlier W-Bodies. The '94 L82 featured a massive redesign of the intake and cylinder heads(not just a cover) which was what gave it another 20hp. Most importantly the computer system was upgraded from OBDI to OBDII, making it a much more efficient engine. Although the block was made "stiffer," you can easily take the everything above the block of an L82, including the timing belt cover, and put it onto an LH0 block.

45

also only one GM V-6 was ever cursed with a crappy timing belt. That was the infamous 3.4 DOHC put into Grand Prix's, Luminas Cutlass Supremes from 92-96. Thankfully it was the optional engine.