Montero Sport Sputtering

80

Asked by Jan 08, 2012 at 03:02 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD

My 2003 Montero sport sputtering when I slow down and accelerate. Sometimes it sputters when I'm stopped at a light……What is wrong?

255

Is it a manual or automatic?

80

Auto....I was just told that I need to do spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gasket. The check engine light just came on today.

255

Those could definitely cause it.

80

It's going in tomorrow for that and getting the timing belt, and water pump done also.

30

Curious if this helped. Mine is doing the exact same thing.

80

Yes it did, my montero is now running like new.

huh mine is doing the same thing, my mechanic said it was not due for a tune up for several thousand miles to reccomended service even, but I have also heard it gets carbonded up in the throttle body, heard spraying some o2 sensor and cat safe carb cleaner does the trick will have to try it.

30

2000 Montero Sport is doing the same thing. What is the real solution?

10

it could be the crankshaft pully bolt. I had this issue and come to find out The Montero has a recall on that bolt. the bolt will work its way loose causing the belts to be loose & sputter. they will replace it for free with a better bolt.

10

@ Stephenmrt--No they do not, I live in Colorado and my crackshaft pully bolt was not replaced for "free" ( on my 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport). My final cost came to 1200 and some change (at the Mitsubishi dealership), Mine had worked it's way loose and I even pulled up the supposed recall, the dealership never even entertained it. Prior I had an alignment check, tire rotation, power steering pump, oil changes,etc., and no one checked that at the other usual haunts I get the vehicle serviced( not the dealership). I sent all my paperwork to the US Dept. of Transportation , National Highway Traffic Safety Administration . Nothing just we'll look into it and add to the other similar breakdowns reported for this problem. So if that bolt got changed for "FREE" count yourself very lucky.

20

I'm driving Mitsubishi Nativa 2010 model, bought this 2nd hand... what the problem is, 1st day of running is ok and on the 2nd was not, car run sluggish, i don't know why... one thing i noticed that the all the doors are closed and i even check it many times but the door indicator light in the dash remains on and when i climb off a humps (obviously the car will shake a litte bit) the door light indicator shows 'Now you see, Now you don't'... My question is, does this thing affects the issue of a car run so slow? need ur help experts :) thanks ~Mhar

10

Mine is doing it too, but it doesnt sputter in park only in the drive gears or reverse..?