I have a 2001 Mitisubishi Montero Sport ES. My wife left the head lights on and it killed the battery. Now at low idle it cuts off. What is wrong. Never has this issue before the dead battery.

20

Asked by Mar 22, 2013 at 08:04 AM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES

Well 2001 is a long time for a battery which reduces it's capacity 10% per year, so 2013....should have been a dead battery two years ago! buy a new one, only this time hose off the corrosion where it's built up around the battery tray, and don't forget the ground connection to the chassis, we don't want any trouble stemming from a bad ground in the future-

Sometimes a battery, when allowed to be completely drained to nothing, it can ruin it..that's why they have "deep cycle" or marine batteries, a different design that allows them to be consumed then re charged. You probably need a new battery, especially if it's more that 4 years or thereabouts old

Stressin the alternator out, surprised this one still makes with the goods under the stress of charging a dead battery. For god's sake, don't blame your wife. If it were a healthy battery two hours would be but a sneeze- buy an Interstate battery, they are guaranteed and will pro-rate you old one if you want to trade for a brand-new one- Of course if yours was an interstate ten years is all they'll give you....it's free fall from there....and don't blame your wife. She loves you!

mornin' H~

I blame my wife for the sun rising

Now THAT sounds like home. She turns sideways in the bed when I get up at night and when I go back there is no where to plant my head, the futon is getting lots of use here in my "office"..my man cave off limits to her, got my computer, futon, TV with DVR, window to watch outside.. what else could a guy ask for?

....excellent. and only a lifetime to figure it all out!

My new Truck. Gotta see it.om;y 3 minute vid ........http://www.youtube.com/embed/-1w48qPF5hc .......Radio Flyer one if that does not take you right to it. it's right on top of Google page

Yesss, the radio flyer...what fun. wonder how many traffic accidents were caused by this unusual presence on the motorways....crikey they don't even SEE the bicyclists around here...makes it tough to ride a bike even with a CalTrans orange outfit on~ they are dopey and drive insensitive 4000 pound vehicles while smokin' a cigarette, drinking a big gulp and answering their needy cell phone...I seen it a hunderd times here in Clearlake-

Ain't that the truth. They think it's cute, which it kinda is, but goodgawdalmighty there are real vehicles on the road and don't expect them to be amused by your little red wagon when you are trying to get to work. Yeah, I too wish i could afford a Lexus...and afford to build a contraption like that

20

Guys what about the ideling issue? Will the battery cause that? The battery has built back up and cranks the car fine. Idle issue is now the problem..........

My best suggestion on that, the idle, is have your OBD codes read. Idle problems can be many things, and to avoid a whole lot of guesswork the OBD will tell you faults in components. A large parts house will do it free. But one thing, before you do, just take a look for unattached vacuum hoses

Ok. papa, did not mean to duck this issue. there are SO MANY reasons this may happen, we have to cheat and us a garden vareity OBD-II scanner on your vehicle, you have a connector labeled 'scanner' take it to O-lielee or Kragen will be happy to connect and read your troubles, jot them down err number and problem...then we'll know....'weak signal from cam sensor'....or idle air control is bad....or O2 sensor is not providing galvonic numbers that make sense oooor? that's why we could use a bit of a clue here now...

guessing...just a wild burro guess, the EGR is stickin' seen it a million times before. disassemble and clean with some paint thinner and put it back.

Yep, that and PCV valve

There was a question a day or so ago about a woman having trouble with idle, turned out to be the PCV, she paid $510 to have it fixed. I suppose if she is happy that her car runs really well now, then OK, but it's such a simple device...500 bucks, for a 1/2 hour? Talk about a lucrative business

56,825

If it's like my '08 Mercury Grand Marquis there is a procedure that must be followed any time the battery replaced or disconnected. Otherwise it won't idle correctly. Check your owner's manual to see if your Montero is the same. HTH. -Jim

655

I had a 2003 Montero Sport, until this last October and rarely had battery issues with the truck. However, over this last summer and fall, the battery died on me. I didn't think that I had left any interior or exterior lights on, but sure enough, it was deader than a door-nail. I had an F-150 try to jump start it, but no dice. AAA had to jump the truck twice, once at the store, so I could get my family home and then once in the drive-way, so I could get to AutoZone. In talking with the second AAA battery technician, he mentioned that the factory alternators are designed to trickle charge the battery, not bring it back from 0. I had always been told that the alternator would keep the battery charged, regardless, but learned the hard way that this doesn't appear to be true. As the others mentioned, a new battery may be your best option. I normally used one in the 720+ cold cranking amps (CCA) category, but make sure you get at least the minimum stated required CCA. Just make sure that you get a battery with the terminal posts in the right position (top or side) since some stores may make you take the purchase back through the return line and not the auto department if you snag the wrong one (nothing like battery shopping with a toddler in tow....). Cleaning corrosion from the battery terminals and posts is always a good move. Some have recommended a paste of Baking Soda and Water. The AAA technician had a post cleaner that looked like a puck-style bottle opener with pipe cleaners on the inside; worked like a charm. Good luck!!

bakin' powder has the cnance of lodging into the vent holes and begin neutralizing the acid, a kind of attack on the attacker if you will, please leave your arm and hammer in the cupboard, and use plain water, then after the installation some dilectric grease to close the show.