Hello, I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I had started having starting problems, it would just make a clicking sound and sometimes it would crank all the way. I took it to Autozone to have them test. They said the battery was no good. They charged it, put it back in and car started fine. NOW, it idles very low and shuts off. Also, back to square one where it just make a clicking noise. Any thoughts or anyone who has had this experience before?

Asked by Jul 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS

Battery charged. Clicking noise when doesn't crank all the way.
When on, shuts off in low idle.

Your battery may still be bad, you might be better off replacing it. Also depending on how old your battery is it may have a warranty. It could also be you altenator which autozone can also test but I believe you have to remove it for them to do so.

Thank You, ok to add to what came about. Autozone charged it, it was fully charged. They said it may be a bad battery and to check with Napa (which is the battery manufacturer) I went into Napa to have them check the battery and possibly swap it out. They said it was a good battery and nothing was wrong with it everything read fine! They said my battery is good and that Autozone lied to me.. Pfft! The battery btw is 1 year old.

sorta sounds like your ignition switch Is on its way out, other possibilities would be a relay or something like that

Is the check engine light on?

Did you have the altenator tested?

Have the alternator checked. It should read 13 - 14+ volts. Anything less means the alternator is bad or going bad.