Hello anyone.. I have a 03 Spyder 2.4L it will turn over but won't start up.. I checked the fuel pump n the ignition coils n the wires, n spark plugs.. Also the fuses still not starting up . Sound like it wants to but not getting fire or gas.. Please help I love my car.. Miles are 120,000ish...! Thanks n advance

205

Asked by Jul 14, 2013 at 02:33 AM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS Spyder

Please help me!

116,025

Was it acting funny the last time you drove it? Was the check engine light on?

205

Yes the engine light been on before this never got it shut off from prior issue... Any how no problems before I was driving with the ac on, phone on charger, an music playing.. Ok the car just shut of and didn't start back up.. So A tried giving me a jump start.. Nothing.. Then checked all fuses.. NOthing... Ok bought the spray for engine... Nothing. Had my car towed home.. Replaced the ignition coil but that wasn't the problem.. How would u knw if its a censor or timing? Basic can it be fix an will it ever run again, plus stiil would like to knw whatever info u knw about this problem.. I love my Spyder baby! N my Anna Nicole voice...

205

O I forgot that maybe two or three days before the driver side floor was wet.. Didn't spill nothing an wasn't raining.. Could that have something to do with it?

116,025

It shut itself off or you shut it off with key?

116,025

If you were driving the car and it just shut off and will crank over now but just not start I would tend to think timing belt issue. It should have been changed at around the 100000 mile mark. Remove dust cover and inspect belt and tensioner.

Best Answer Mark helpful
205

Yes. It shut off on it's own... Yeah u right I going with the timing belt too. We tried everything, now will it ever run again tho..?? Is there any way u can check an see if it is the timing? Im sure your right because I drive alot an I put over 60,000 miles on it in one year... Bad I knw, thanks alot for everything. Im sick without my car

116,025

Hopefully it didn't bend any valves. Will have to check compression on all cylinders to see if that's an issue. You should have between 150 psi to 200 psi on each cylinder. And all should be + - 5 psi of the others. If valves are bent you will show 0 psi for those cylinders. Make sure you change the water pump when you install the new belt. Wife loves hers too.

205

Hey hey.. I been tryn to send a picture of mines.. Its nice thanks alot We will try everything.. Will return with results an more questions if so! Thanks a million

205

Im on my phone n can't upload the photo..

116,025

Silver. That's a good color too. Good luck and let us know if we can help further.

6,265

you say your driver side floor board is wet ??? sounds like your ecu got wet ,, ive seen this happen before, hopefully you didn't burn it out and is only wet

205

Yes Daniel.. Thanks for responding. Tell me more about this ecu and can it be fix also had bad is it either way burnt out or just wet?

6,265

just have to open it up see if its wet and let it dry out ... can get it tested somewhere too

205

Ok thanks.. Where is it located?

6,265

im not sure just know of someone that had a wet console n floor area, and car wouldn't run right then told me that their ecu got wet after it dried out it ran correctly and sounded like yours might be doin the same thing

205

Timing belt was the problem guys... Thanks a million for the info my spyder lovers!!! TTakecare (*_*)

6,265

damn that sucks, glad you got it figured out though, was hoping you had a wett ecu like I seen happen before though

205

It does.... Only if I knew about changing the timing belt at 100,000 miles I would have done that to prevent this. Thanks again for the help! Just hope she good for a minute a long minut!

205

Got the belt on car start but missing extremely bad... Plus it was smoke coming from the ignition coil was trying to drive the car but cut off after I put the car in gear started to shaking even harded. Also I turn the ac on and it sounded like it was gonna blow up... Im sooo confuse, can someone tell me any advise about what could be wrong please or if the car would ever run the same again... ??

6,265

are you sure did you got the timing correct ??? also did you do a compression test to make sure you didn't bend some vlaves or pop a hole in pistons ??

116,025

Sounds like you have some bent valves. But double check timing marks and tensioner first. If all that is ok the Have a compression check done. You should have between 150 psi and 200 psi on each cylinder and not more than +-5 psi between any of them.

116,025

Any that have 0 psi will have bent valves. I hate to say this but you probably have several bent. But don't give up your car can be repaired and still be a very dependable ride.

205

Still need help.... Spent so much money trying to get this car moving. No hope. It's been in the shop all this time. Fix the timing still was missing now the guy say I need the ecu reset or a new one and no one in the US have a box. Then I went on Ebay and found the box with the code the guy gave mr578588.. Ok basically is it worth me to continue to try or its more to explain but to much to type.. If u can help I glad to give my numbet for more info.. Thanks just get another car I need please any good advice I stuck without my car... Help! Also I have but $900 into this in the last 3weeks

116,025

Did he do a compression check? Is check engine light on? If so what are the codes?

6,265

well you can get the current ECU tested and see if its bad but if its missing theres other reasons such as timing is still off or plug wires being in incorrect order coils, ptu, also could be bad or cam sensor etc Is it running but missing ? or cant even get it started ?

205

Its running and missing.. It's drivable but trys to cut off when the ever you stop. Stay started as long as you driving missing very bad. Yes the check engine light is still on..

205

I believe the first shop fix thee wrong problem which was never the timing it was always the ecu I'm thinking, but again I nothing about a but to drive n gas.. But thanks forvthe help I give up.. Also They told me the did all of this stuff u been telling me, and my car is stll down n I $900 broker.. Could've been in a new car

6,265

you tested the ecu ??

20

please tell me if you got this fixed I have the same problem with my 2001 eclipse its not a spyder. but it will run but misses and jerks and dies when I go up hills or stop. I have already replaced the fuel pump, timing belt, crank censor and pulley and bought a new computer for it and transmission relay. if anyone knows anything else I can do please let me know Ive had it in different shops over the past 7 or 8 months thank you in advance

205

Nope went thru four shop's spent $1400 never ran ago I'm driving a 2012 Convertible Mustang now! You'll be lucky for it to run the same again but I think its a wrap... Sorry :( I was sick about my Spider but I'm happy now Good luck girl!

20

thank you anyway! im glad you got you a nice car! yeah its already been so long and still no luck so I figured. do you know anybody that buys broke down cars?

205

No problem girlie! Yes call pick n pull they buy broke cars for cheap tho like $300 .... I think you could sell it for more to somebody that fix cars you know post it on Craig and see what you get or call The junk yard for the most you can get! Look at it this way you gottta get you something Bad and New Now!!! :))

116,025

Taraaa. Is your check engine light on?

205

BitchyButch WHAT??

10

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad ground connection under the hood from the engine to the car body. It was causing a misfire because there was not enough voltage to fire the fuel injectors,specifically the #4, which had the longest wire. Wonder how many cars have been haoled off for this reason.

I have a mitsubishi eclipse v6 3.0 I did the timing belt the water pump spark plugs and still acting up, when I put the scanner it reads cylinder 5&6 can anybody tell me what it can be ?

And also smoke comes from the back of the engine and it smells like is not burning the gas

10

Anyone get this issues fixed? My brother has a Spyder Eclipse. It will turn over but not start. Already replaced distributor, crankshaft sensor, checked timing belt it was good, replaced MAP sensor, none of these things helped. Thinking next to change ECM. Anyone else been there.

I have a 2001 2.4 liter manual eclipse that will start but won't turn over. Funny thing it's when I pop start it in gear it runs. And it runs great. I put a new water pump and timing belt on it. So it's not that. It's getting a spark . It's not the injectors, not the battery, not the starter. And after its warned up it starts. But it takes awhile to start. Kinda like the engine its building up momentum then it turns over. But other than that I don't have a clue. Could it be the ecu computer?

205

Yes my problem was the ecu computer... after I replace everything you named above... also she never ran the same after... Good luck! Jimpo1973

Thanks. That's what I thought it was

60

Guys i need help! I have a 01 mitsubishi eclipse 2.4L. One day i was driving when suddendly it shut off on me. It would crank but wont start. Had to tow it back home. At first i did research and i had to replace a the crankshaft sensor and i did but that wasnt the problem. I also keep getting the code P1610 on my scan tool. Battery is good. I tried different test. I removed the fuel pump and gave it direct power and it was working fine. I have no idea whats wrong with it. Any ideas?

I need help I have a 2003 eclipse spyder gs convertible it will crank but won't fire so I changed crank shaft sensor ignition coils spark plug wires and still won't start

Don't know what else to do

35

Wow ButchyButch please flush yourself.

10

I'm having trouble starting my 2003 Spyder 5speed there's plenty of gas, crank over but will not start :( I though maybe it's because I haven't driven it in 4 days but I have gone a week with out starting her up..

My 08 shut down while driving it all the lights came on and lools like radiator is gone. It had never overheated burned oil nothing. Timing belt looks good no water in oil ...HELP!!!

10

The key has a chip in it.If the chip is bad you wount get fuel or fire to the engine. Go to Lowe's or the dealership and have the key tested the chip may have went bad.if you have the owners manual it tells you about this issue.

10

Need help with my 2001 Mitsubishi Spyder. Was driving down the road and was losing speed. I went to give it gas but instead of speeding up and went completely down and died. Pulled over in the shoulder and tried starting it. It would crank over but wouldnt start just like if you are running out of gas but i had a full tank. 2 days before this accident happened my stupid brother took off in my car without my knowledge. It started raining and he didnt know how to put the top up so everything in my car got extremely wet. I let it sit in my garage until the day i had this issue when i was on my way to work. Can anyone help me please before I start spending money