how can i get the fuel pump to work?

Asked by Feb 02, 2014 at 02:43 PM about the 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr GS Sedan

the car stopped, and i Thought it was out off gas, so i Put gas in it and thefuel pump will
not work.

114,105

If you ran it out of gas the pump is probably fried.

100,305

Dandy is most likely right, sometimes you can get them to work one more time by thrumping on the fuel tank while someone cranks the engine, just make sure the car is blocked and the park brake set and if it dose start don't shut it off until you get it where you want it as it most likely won't start again.

23,205

So the car stopped- what caused it to stop? It wasn't low fuel- how do you know the fuel pump isn't working? There are many reasons a car will stop running- are you just guessing it's fuel? These old Ford products have primitive engine management systems called EEC in FordSpeak and this system relies on dozens of sensors to give information to a computer- I have seen that if any one of those electronic sensors fail, the engine will stop running- are you sure the problem is a fuel pump and NOT one of those 2 bit sensors?

1,415

If you do decide to replace the fuel pump, dont buy the cheapest one out there, unless you want to do it again in a couple of weeks. You get what you pay for on fuel pumps

200

Left, inside the trunk is a little box, with a red button. Depress the button, start the car w/ a gas-sprinkeled-on rag in the air-intake. The red button is a sort of fuse/breaker to shut the fuel-pump off, in case of a bump/accident. This is how I got mine running again. The car had a 'bump' when it got loaded up on a wrecker, after a rear-tire blowout.

710

I parked my 2005 mercury grand marquis in the driveway last nite and today when i started it, it was running like it had a bad miss! Then it killed on me! I tried to start it again and it was just turning over! So i disconnected da fuel line running to the fuel filter then had a friend turn over da engine to see if gas was gonna shoot out the line but there was no gas coming out! Thinking it was my fuel pump i bought a new one and changed it! I still got the same problem! I checked a few relays and fuses but came up empty handed! Any suggestions?

710

I even checked the fuel reset button in the trunk! Still nothing

710

The fuel pump is not coming at all! We checked the pump with wires to see if it works and it does work but not on the car

30

did you the fuel relay in the power distribution box in the engine compartment? Then pull the relay out, put your meter on plug pins to check the voltage to the coil of the relay. Then, locate the relay contact plug pins and short out with a jumper. you are applying voltage directly to the fuel pump. Check if car will kick-over.

10

I have a follow up question. my friend has a 1997 Monte Carlo with 3.4 v6 and it has been sitting for a year was running a year ago. It is not getting fuel wh at is most likely cause? A fuse or the whole pump?

100,305

Electric fuel pumps hate to sit, so my first guess would be the fuel pump, I would test for battery voltage at the fuel pump connector for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the key, if you have voltage then everything forward is working, if not then there could be a stuck relay or a circuit failure, look for rodent damage first, they love insulation for their nests.

110

I'm having the same problem on my 99 marquis, new fuel pump and relay been replace still the fuel pump will not come on

110

Anybody help

200

Bull-puppy ! The electric-fuel-pump has a kill-switch. Trunk, left side, behind the covers. Its a red button. Don't tell nobody, because its secret and makes those 'cheat-mechanics' a lot a $$$$'s. If you read up front on the latch-panel of the hood, you'll see.................

200

Most likely, you'll have to start with a gas-filled-rag in the air- intake, or starter-spray. She should come right there. If this don't help, most likely your idle-valve.........(or computer).

Hey guys i need help so i have a 88 mercury topaz i already replaced the fuel pump 2 times and some sencors but my car still turns offilike it dont have gas so i turn it on again and as soon as i put it on drive it turns off again even if i press all the gas it doesnt stay on i already replace my temp sensor temp switch because my temp in the car always stays on cold it dont work

100,305

Start with pulling the codes, it could be a map sensor, ACT sensor even a wiring problem that old, could be a number of troubles. Check out you tube on how to pull Ford OBD 1 Codes if you don't know how, and there are charts on the codes listed and a how to here:http://straighttalkautomotive.com/OBD1/ford-OBD-I.html

10

Sending direct power to fuel pump still nothing and brand new fuel pump

100,305

If you have direct power and a good ground and the pump doesn't run then you have a bad pump.