How do you stop a Grand Marquis from starting?

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM about the 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr GS Sedan

My car has several, er, security issues.  The most pressing one is the fact that the ignition switch is hanging loose, because the key cylinder wore out or something and I had to start it regardless.  Until I replace the bit where the key goes, is there something I can do when I park it to make sure it temporarily won't start if somebody decided to try and drive off with it?  I was thinking of pulling and hiding a fuse, but the fuse diagram doesn't list "ignition."

65,955

You can buy a switch like device that attaches to the negative (-) battery post. Then you attach the negative (-) battery cable to the other end. In the middle is a knob that unscrews. When you unscrew or remove the knob completely it kills the car. I use them to prevent my batteries from going dead on my cars that I don't drive regularly. But this "kill switch" can be used as a theft deterrent as well. Easier than pulling fuses every time too. HTH. -Jim

345

New key cylinder. Readily available and not that expensive or hard to install. They come with a new key, or you can find instructions on YouTube that tell you how to install the tumblers from your broken switch so that it matches your current key. Had to replace mine because you could start the car without a key.

24,205

Fix it.

1,235

There's an inertia switch in the trunk (left)