At Idle car produces a sweet smell from front drivers side of vehicle?

965

Asked by Jul 07, 2013 at 01:01 PM about the 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr GS Sedan

Have noticed last couple of really hot days that when driving with the windows down an at Idle or at a stop light there is a semi strong odor coming in the window on the drivers side of the car.  Has a sweet almost fruity smell to it.  Have noticed a slight increase in need to refill anti-freeze resevoiur every 250 miles but figured was for age.

24,785

It might be time to sevice your coolant system. New thermastat and coolant, be shure to inspect you waterpump weep hole if its leaking that means the pump is going bad. Also check your hoses, radiator, cap, and overflow tank while your there.

24,785

Water pump weep hole is the one hole as shown here that is under the pulley. just incase

24,565

Have the system pressure checked to pinpoint exactly what is leaking and what needs to be replaced - unless you have several hundred dollars to replace everything in the cooling system - piece by piece - until you find it.

24,785

Due to its age ( 1994 ) and lack of maitenace info I personally would service the whole system. Could save you thousands, if you blow the head gaskets and run it hot its gunna cost ya. On the plus side its a ford product and the required parts are super cheap ( priced the pump at $24 bucks online ) and if you can do the work yourself even better. The alternative like Tracy said to pressurize the system find the leak and replace just the defective part.

965

thanks Michael an Tracy. Was taken to mechanic friend an told to just go out back with the car an take my trusty Dessert Eagle to the block. The Engines not worth saving. lol Sometimes DIY mechanics arn't the best to go to. lol

24,565

Bummer

24,785

Well thats that I guess. Sorry to hear that.