I have a town car that will not crank it will turn over but will not start what can cause this

Asked by Mar 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM about the 1999 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

35,955

Bad fuel pump relay, bad fuel pump, bad coils. You are having a no spark issue, or no fuel issue. Remove your gas cap. Put your ear to the hole and have someone turn the key to the Accessory position. Do you hear the fuel pump humming at all? If you do, it's not the fuel pump. If you hear no hum, try changing out the fuel pump relay. If still no hum, your fuel pump is bad. If fuel pump is working, you will want to check for spark.

35,955

Forgot to mention that fuel and spark are just the two most common no start issues. There could be other things like a bad neutral safety switch. Fuel and spark you can check with minimal help and no tools. Other issues will take tools and some mechanical knowledge.

20

i have a 1999 lincoln town car cartier i was driving and the car start slowing down its self and stop and wont start whats wrong with it

20

it turns over but wont catch

35,955

Lavircus_31, sounds like you may be having a fuel pump issue as well. Try doing what was suggested at the top of the page. Post back with results.

10

I have a 1991 Lincoln town car yesterday I was driving it came home cut it off and i try to leave it want start it was turning over by want start and today i try to start it it's not saying nothing

35,955

Lavelle, have you tried to jump start it? Try that and see if it will run. If so, I suspect a bad battery or alternator. Post back with results.....

my 1999 lincoln town car dashboard lights come on when i turn the key but it wont start and now the dashboard or car wont go off what could be wrong with my car

when i try to turn it off I'm really baffled i got to get to work what should i do

35,955

Emoney, my first guess is that you have a bad battery or connection. I would first try a jump start. If car runs with a jump. I would then test the battery with a volt meter once you turn the car off. If your battery is 5 years old or older, you will probably find that it's putting out very low voltage or non at all.