Why does the fuel pump never shut off prior to starting my car

50

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 02:08 PM about the 1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I have replaced fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, strainer, filter, and relay. When I turn
on the ignition, the fuel pump comes on and never shuts off.

375

did you have to rewire the fuel pump,or was the connections all the same,you are positive its the fuel pump you hear,try pulling out the relay under the hood,get something like plieres be careful not to break the relay look at the diagram on the make sure its the same kind of relay see if this cuts power to the pump when key is off it maybe stuck in a closed contact position

375

the pump is supposed to run with the key on,does the car run,when you turn yey on it will cranck for a few seconds than when you go to start it should stay on

25,525

it could be sucking air.is is a slow click/fast clicking..check fuel pressure>will it hold pressure after you turn the key off..if not the system is open to the atmosphere somewhere.....!

Best Answer
50

The fuel pump is pumping fuel. I can here it flowing through the fuel injection rail. The pump should only run when the car is running. It runs constantly with the car not running. When the key is turned on, it should come on and build pressure then shut off until the car is cranked. If cranked before then, the car will run but burns a lot of fuel.

20

I'm having the same problem with my 93 town car. I have changed the fuel regulator and the fuel pump but the fuel pump still runs all the time so what you are saying is that I need a new ECM (computer)? Sometimes the car will start run fine then all of a sudden it starts running like it's missing or misfiring. Other times it will not run at all.

What would keep my fuel pump from kicking on its an 01 town car an the day I was driving it it just shut off like I ran out of gas I changed the fuel pump an the pump is getting no juice