Why does the fuel pump never shut off prior to starting my car

50

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 02:08 PM about the 1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I have replaced fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, strainer, filter, and relay. When I turn
on the ignition, the fuel pump comes on and never shuts off.

355

did you have to rewire the fuel pump,or was the connections all the same,you are positive its the fuel pump you hear,try pulling out the relay under the hood,get something like plieres be careful not to break the relay look at the diagram on the make sure its the same kind of relay see if this cuts power to the pump when key is off it maybe stuck in a closed contact position

355

the pump is supposed to run with the key on,does the car run,when you turn yey on it will cranck for a few seconds than when you go to start it should stay on

20,145

it could be sucking air.is is a slow click/fast clicking..check fuel pressure>will it hold pressure after you turn the key off..if not the system is open to the atmosphere somewhere.....!

Best Answer
50

The fuel pump is pumping fuel. I can here it flowing through the fuel injection rail. The pump should only run when the car is running. It runs constantly with the car not running. When the key is turned on, it should come on and build pressure then shut off until the car is cranked. If cranked before then, the car will run but burns a lot of fuel.

3,355

Hello, With the clues you have given, The ECM controls the delay for initial charge to the pump...during crank, The signal to the ecm from the spark system allows fuel pump to begin again...THEN, oil pressure signal and crank sensor tell the ecm that car is running, continue fuel pump operation. If your ECM is receiving the proper signals, It COULD be bad; however, one of the circuits I mentioned, if the wires were shorted, grounded, would allow the fuel pump to run ALL times, whether cranking or cranked (running). Hope this Helps, AskTrannyMan

10

I'm having the same problem with my 93 town car. I have changed the fuel regulator and the fuel pump but the fuel pump still runs all the time so what you are saying is that I need a new ECM (computer)? Sometimes the car will start run fine then all of a sudden it starts running like it's missing or misfiring. Other times it will not run at all.

3,355

Hello Mark, Wow, I didn't realize people followed these things for so long... I don't get to come back often, as I am really "irons in the fire" kinda guy now. However, since my #1 thing is Town Cars specifically, I just wanted to make sure to at least try to help. Post back, so that I will know whether you have got this fixed or not. You have the earlier Ford system, not the newer returnless system, and that is about all I am ever into now. But I am VERY familiar with what you do have, as my collection of Town Cars goes all the way back to the seventies; furthermore,my daily driver is a 92 Executive. I will tell you that you need a pressure gauge hooked up to even begin to tackle this one. As mentioned above, you need to know whether the system is building,, and maintaining pressure under various scenarios. So, let us know how this is going, or how it turned out. You can have electrical leaks, as in a diode in the alternator circuit that keeps the fuel system running when it shouldn't, etc. Hope this Helps, AskTrannyMan