Air ride

Asked by Jan 15, 2013 at 06:53 AM about the 1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature

My Lincoln won't hold up in the back. It goes down like a low rider, my friend told me it has air ride suspension and I should replace it with springs instead of paying a lot to fix air ride the car is getting old should i do that? thank you

I had a 1990 and 1992 TC and both of them developed leaks in the air bladders, it happens...I spent $800 to have coil springs put on my 1990 and never had another problem and only had to do the back. If you continue to allow the leak, the pump will burn up...unless the problem is only the height sensor and you don't even have a leak..that can also happen. OR even the air lines from the pump under the hood to the back of the car. Does it pump up and raise when you start the car? Sometime you may even hear the buzz of the pump when the car is off and parked. Shop around....prices will vary greatly

Best Answer Mark helpful

thank you

985

Rear air bags last about 220,000 miles and run about $300 to replace. Well worth the cost of repairing.

Holy air bladder batman, I don't know where you went but I got 3 estimates anywhere from $1,850 .....$2,200. to $2,300 and mine began a slow leak at 120,000 and by 125,000 were toast.....

985

Guess I've been lucky with 4 LTC's but all easily went over 200k miles with air bags. Replacing air bags is simple remove and replace type of repair. I am a limo company and do get deep discounts at Lincoln dealerships but shop around. Those prices are way out of line for that type of repair.

20

I had 2 Crown Victorias, and 1 Grand Marquis with rear air suspension. With over 200K miles on each, only 1 developed leaks in the air suspension, and I had mine repaired at the local ford dealer in the range of $600 dollars. I used aftermarket remanufactured air bags instead of the ford parts because the after market parts where around $110 vs $330+ per part.

360

My 1999 Lincoln Town Car's air suspension seems to be getting worse. The back is sitting low in the mornings. When I start the car, the pump brings the back up. Even the front of the car seems to be handling the bumps worse. My mechanic didn't mention checking the height sensor at all. 123,000 miles on it. He did mention checking for a leak in the airlines. Should I do that first? And if I switch to coils, how much impact does that affect the ride? Help, limited funds

70

I have a 2001 Lincoln town car it seems a lil squeaky when at slow speeds sound I turn on my air suspension or no?

90

hi i diden know that you had to shut off the switch to the air suspension be for i changed the tire i took the tire off an left it on the jack an now it not working i took off pos side battery and put it back on still not lifting the back up

90

it work befor i take off tirer