I have a 94 Lexus, recently i left it on E for 5 days sitting in the sun, i went straight to the gas station when i started it and the acceleration was slow, i put gas and it was fine for a week.

10

Asked by Jul 02, 2015 at 02:37 PM about the 1994 Lexus LS 400 RWD

Now after a few minutes of driving it shuts off at a stop sign or light, and won't go when i
start it up again, just shuts off immediately.  I had a mechanic come over and  couldn't
diagnose because the check engine light went off by then and the car seemed fine with no
codes.  He checked my fuel pump and said it was fine.  He mentioned a fuel filter maybe, I
have no idea what to do.

116,505

change the filter you could have sucked in the stuff from the bottom of the tank from sitting on "E" for so long.

That's true, joemom but the filter is a mesh sock on the pick-up for pump, inside the tank

Found the other one. It's an ordinary in-line filter ..--click for full screen

http://mirrors.arcadecontrols.com/www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/fuelfilter.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/629891-diy-replace-fuel-filter-and-new-flange-nuts.html

Now, if I may, a mechanic can do a lot of diagnostic work without a CEL being lit. There a a dozen things to start with, and the ECU stores codes no matter of CEL is on or not. It sounds like your mechanic has been educated on how to use a scanner, but there is much much more to it. Inexpensive scanners don't have freeze-frame data capabilities that is needed . To get the best diagnostic, the car needs to be diagnosed while being driven, at various speeds and engine loads., with DTC plugged in and technician as passenger to monitor read-outs on a lap-top, that has software for known values. Diagnosing in shop is not nearly as accurate. in real time, connected to diagnostic machine or a laptop with the output values are known, and what it should be doing at X rpm at X temperature and more, that the scanners at the auto-parts places can not do. Not even close.

10

The mechanic checked the ECU i am pretty sure, because when i told him the CEL was off now he told me that it didn't matter because he could still find codes. He said he even checked the codes some other way that made the CEL blink. I booked him from YourMechanic.com and he said if he drove it and it shut off he would have trouble getting back. He checked my car with a fellow mechanic for an hour. He revved my car and it seemed fine. Another thing to mention is that when i filled my tank after it was on E and got on highway it started to smell almost like a gas. But that went away. Thanks for help

First, MY BAD, I only now saw your Lexus in a 1994. Lexus and some Camrys were OBDII compliant in 1995, a year before it was made mandatory. Some were even compliant in 1994. But not all, and even those were "partially' That, OliviaLex is why he used flash codes. The right thing to do. I ran off my mouth metaphorically before I should have.

10

Thanks for the advice. Im hoping that after my fuel filter is replaced that my car wont power off.

116,505

Thanks foradnut I was talking about the tank mesh...you gave her good information...