Service four wheel drive system light comes on when trying trying to put my 05 Grand Cherokee into 4low. It won't go into 4low

320

Asked by Jun 09, 2014 at 12:54 PM about the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

My Jeep feels like its locked in 4 wheel
drive and transfer case or front end aren't
letting it do diff action when moving either
forward or rearward and turning from a
stop. Feels mechanical and electrical both.
Actuator malfuntion or sensor maybe? It
has the Quadra Trac 2 system

510

I've got a 08 jeep grand Cherokee overland I was sceptical about the fuse pull when I heard it but when my 4 low would not eng@ge I tried it and it worked so thanks guys

220

followed your instructions today.. worked for me. Don't know how you found the solution, but THANKS! I just purchased a 2005 JGC with only 51,000 miles - doubt it had ever been put in 4WD low since it left the factory.

190

I was skeptical about trying the fuse pulling solution, but it worked! Thanks a ton!!!

190

I might add that I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I bought it last year, it had 75k on it, and I too doubt the 4wd had ever been pulled.

50

I have a 2008 same problem but on the 08's its fuse 33 next to fire wall pulled fuse drove for 10 min plugged it in and everything is ok . I called Miller Jeep in Springfield and they told me 386.00 to change fluids what a rip off .!!!!!!!!!!!

40

I have an 08 5.7 with the same problem. 4 wheel low wouldn't engage, dealer wanted a ton for a new "transfer case"... Did the fuse pull (33 firewall box), good as new. Thanks for the post!

180

Take it to the dealer and have the software updated per Service Bulletin Number 21-022-14. There is no charge as this is covered by the warranty. My Jeep has 134,000 miles and is 11 years old but the warranty still applied. Before this I had paid an independent dealer to try to resolve and had done the fuse removal task and none of it worked. Would have saved a lot of time and money if I had known about the recall but I didn't own the vehicle when the recall was made in July, 2010. Hope this helps.

50

Great info. I have a 2010 GC that would not go into low after the transfer case motor was replaced. With the above I was able to find the E-DIFF fuse (33) and follow the above instructions. Worked like a charm. Thanks everyone and I hope this additional info helps anyone with a 2010.

70

2006 jeep grand cherokee , worked on mine too thanks, the update messed mine up and pulling fuse reset the computer thanks so much

320

I got the fix for this problem from another site. The actuator in front diff gets corroded from not being put in 4low enough so it stays stuck in. Also shortly after the N23 recall was done. Take the #25 fuse (e-diff) out in fuse box under the hood closest to the firewall. The "Service 4wheel Drive System" come on the dash steady. Drive around for abit then put fuse back in with engine running. Shut off engine then restart. My problem was fixed and it goes in and out of 4low now.

320

30

Hi I got jeep grand Cherokee 2005 I take the 25 fuse e- diff off and drive about 10 min ,put fuse back and working perfect thanks

110

The pull fuse thing is only temporary fix ! There is now a recall from the dealer for this issue !

20

I had a "SERV 4WD" message and an "ESC OFF" light on with no 4 wheel drive (only rear wheel drive) on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo. Typically it only came on when the weather was cold with snow... the time I needed my 4 wheel drive to work the most. I troubleshot my issue to a bad transfer case actuator or motor (part number 68071235AC). When I removed the three 8mm bolts and pulled the actuator off, there was a black oil substance leaking from inside the motor. I pulled it apart and the oil like substance was inside the motor (where the windings are). Not sure if this is a "wet" electrical motor or not, but it seemed like a bad thing to me. I replaced the transfer case motor and now it works like a champ. Very easy fix but kinda pricey. Normally the motor with tax is $409.00 but I got mine discounted by the parts counter guy for a grand total of $373.63 with tax here in Denver Colorado area. Hope this helps someone, as I was beating my head against the wall with all the no help internet searches.

10

i have a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 5.7 hemi my clock spring was bad so . i replaced it when i put my jeep in revese my rear wheels lockup . and code then pops dae /esp

10

Just bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L V8 and pulling the E-DIFF fuse #25 worked for me too. Was worried I would have to take it to the dealer. Pulled it with engine off, started it and drove around the block, put the fuse back in while still running, shut off engine, and then restarted almost immediately. Shifted perfectly into 4 Low. Thanks everyone!

20

I have the same problem on my 08 GC Overland diesel.. Service 4wd, esp/bas and skid light are on and off for 5 days now... I'll try the fuse pull tonight.

30

We have a 2012 Jeep Over lander 5.7 Hemi. We are being told that both the front t and rear differential need to be replaced to the tune of 7000.00. They have not even torn the Jeep down. They said they scoped it and took pictures we asked to see the pictures they said they were lost. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

20

I have a o6 grand cherokee overland 5.7 hemi i just bought it and the engine light is on the guy told me it was a shift actuator but i got it scanned at auto zone and it said a solenoid it wont go into 4 low and says service 4wheel drive system is this recall still good for this year someone please help thanks