Rust around the windows...

Asked by Aug 22, 2010 at 01:31 PM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander, I love the vehicle but my husband is hesitant as he can see the black trim around the windows has started to rust in the corners.  This rust has dripped on to the Silver body of this Jeep.  At this point it looks like it would be possible to simply wipe it off, but if the rust has started will it not continue and cause large rust spots under the windows on this vehicle??  Is this something that is common on this type of Jeep??  Is there anything that can be done about this??

175

Unfortunately, rust can still be a problem with these vehicles. You need to take good car of it to not spot rust in the car's lifetime. The best thing would be to replace the rusty bits and wait to see if rust is going to set in around the windows. I would get some money off the car or have the dealer/seller fix the rust. Other than that, I have a tiny bit of rust in one of my wheel wells. I have an 04 GC Limited. I have 80,000 miles. If you or your husband are handy...you could try sanding away the rust, and repainting, but that takes quite a bit of care and time. Easiest is to just replace that black trim.

10

I have the same problem with my 00' grand cherokee. The rust is inside the black window trim starting at the corners. Yes this is common on the Grand C's but it is not the car that is rusting it is the black window trim. A dealer can fix this issue for $250. Ask for the newest trim version for your vehicle. http://www.wjjeeps.com/doors/weatherstrip.htm The version should have an "AF" in it. This version has more rust protection on the ends. I also think power car washes/highway rain contribute to the rust with original black trim because the water gets beneath the rubber gaskets on the corners. Hope this helps

50

We have exactly what you need! They are the window wipe weatherstrip on the outer portion of the top of the door against the glass! They are $99.95 for all four outer doors! They are super easy to install. Check them out at www.teamgrandcherokee.com

3,085

It's just surface rust. Though Jeeps are everywhere so keep looking. If you really want this one just remove the window trim, remove the rust with a small drill or Dremel tool with a wire wheel or do it by hand with steel wool. Repaint with a rust prohibitor primer and have the color matched at a local paint shop using your VIN. They can mix up a spray can for you. If it is just the trim that is rusted, replace with new or find a good set off a similar Jeep at a wrecking yard