Car not blowing hot air

Asked by Mar 02, 2016 at 08:23 AM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My 2004 Jeep cherokee  larado  is not heating up
the inside u til the temp gets up to 220 and when I
stop at a light the hot air goes warm and cold then
back to warm ....I noticed on my way home today it
was running hotter than normal between 220 to
240 then drop back under 220 for a little bit then
go back up ....What is going on.?

19,130

The first thing you should check is the anti freeze level. Add anti freeze if low.

96,705

Right, that's a classic low coolant symptom. Don't wait or the next symptom will leave you the side of the road with a overheated engine.

Nope I just topped the system off 3 weeks ago it's full

96,705

Still check it again and make sure the air is all gone from the cooling system.

Ok I will check it out thanks

10

My guess would center on the Blend door located under the dash. They fail in one position or the other... Common prob in several makes including Jeep... About 1K at the dealer... Do not attempt on your own...

96,705

Aoneal2, look at his temp readings, that is an engine that is running too warm, just on the the verge of overheating, I know the symptoms of the blend door problem, I had it on my Jeep, and this is not a blend door problem. I hope he looked it over real good.

Thanks all it was low anti freeze I bought a gallon and it almost took all of it temp is back to normal and heater kicking out again....I glad it was a easy fix just love to know what happened to the antifreeze I put in there 3 weeks ago...

19,130

You should keep a eye on the level may have a small leak some where in the cooling system. Had a vehicle with same problem had to add anti freeze every 3-4 weeks could not figure out where the leak was but added some alumi seal stop leak. Had to remove top radiator hose and add stop leak into hose because no cap on radiator could have added stop leak in over flow tank but have taken longer for stop leak to work and it did take care of my problem.

96,705

At this point in time I would be suspicious of the head gaskets if you don't see any external leaks. You might want to have the system pressure tested and if nothing is found there then go for a block check. Note heater cores are a high fail on these so look under the rig on the passenger side after you have drove it and parked for a while, it won't be much but it will have the coolant color to it and not just be the normal water from the A/C.

96,705

Don't use stop leak on a Jeep, experience talking here, I had a customer that put some in his Jeep and drove it like recommended and didn't make it back to his house before it overheated, had it towed to my shop, any way it totally blocked the spring on the thermostat so it could not open, he finally decided to fix the real leak and that was the heater core.

19,130

The mistake people make with stop leaks are if it does not stop the leak the first time they continue to add more hoping it will work that is when it can clog up the cooling system. So if you do decide to try it do not try more then two times any more after that you are asking for trouble but it is worth a try.