Audi a4 avant question

Asked by Aug 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM about the 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Avant Quattro

Looking at going to test drive this car, what should i look for when test driving it
and looking it over, i have never owned a car with a turbo and am a bit weary of
buying it.  I also think that his asking price is a little steap. here is a link to the
car http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/1901871296.html , i was hoping
that at 157,000 some of the bugs had already been worked out. thanks alot guys
nate

first thing look it over on outside for repaint and bad body work,check driver side door sticker for vin # and vin# on dash.just test drive it feel any vibrations,exhaust leaks,smoke when first cranked and whineing in turbo.after test drive wait a few minutes and look under car for oil,water leaks.

1,135

The last thing you should be looking for is body damage and repaint... Audis don't really rust so unless it's been in some sort of accident (which a carfax will tell you) then don't waste the time. Now, the first thing I would look for is paperwork. The car has 160k. It need a timing belt. Unless the previous owner did it already but I would go and assume that if they're getting rid of it around 160 that's because they just found out that it costs $1200 to get it done. Now second, it is chipped. Possibly been beaten on. If thats the stock turbo in there then it could be getting old. Listen for whining sounds, kindof like a dentist drill coming from the engine bay. If the turbo is already blown you will know. That turbo should kick your ass back in the seat pretty good with the chip in there. The turbo isn't a hug deal, you can change it out for a used K03 for just a couple hundred bucks and some ratchet extensions but if you're not very car savvy then it could be a costly job. Now take a look under the wheel wells. Look at the control arms and see how the ball joints look. If you can wiggle them with your hands then bad news.. they are bad. Also not a super expensive job but again, paying someone to do it can run you a pretty tight bill. Doing it yourself is real simple but requires some tools and thick knuckle skin. While test driving it listen to clunking sounds coming from the front corners when you hit small bumps. Also the steering should feel tight, not like mustang tight, like a real sports car tight. It is a super fun car to drive and can teach you a lot. I would suggest if you buy it start doing your own oil changes and maybe even your own maintenance. It will save you a ton of money. Oil changes alone will run you $60 at a shop where you can buy your own 0w40 synthetic and do it yourself in about a half hour. It is a really easy car to work on, sometimes it just throws you some surprises . Check out Audizine.com for all the information in the world.

Thanks a lot, what kind of milage can i expect to get out of it if it is in good shape, also, what would be a good offering price, I would think four grand at most after looking at the bb value, can this car take a beating if w3ll maintained ? Thanks again

1,135

Well, you can get some good mileage out of it. I had 182k on mine on the third timing belt. As far as the offer, well they're going to try to tell you the car is in great shape and it's chipped for performance, it's got wheels, yadda yadda... the truth is the wheels are ok but it needs to be lowered like woah. also it may have summer tires on there, as a lot of wheel packages do, so you may be looking at replacing the rubber with something that can handle the snow. The quattro isn't going to do everything for you. the chip on the other hand is going to run you around $450 and i'll tell you... you want it. it's a lot of fun. let them know, the suspension is going to have to be replaced fairly soon, 160k is about time to go and the turbo may need to be as well. but try to talk them down. look at the nada value of the car to make yourself a case then see what you can do. the odd's that they're going to drop it down to 4k are low but if you've got something saying the car is worth that then you may be able to get something out of them. As far as reliability... the thing is a tank. take care of it and it will take care of you. I was in a head on collision in my 98 with a maxima going about 30mph each and i didnt have my seat belt on.. not a scratch. the car didnt make it but my 2002 is now doing just fine.

HAY,is that not what I told him,you told him in a different and longer verson,but still the same.

hey guys its me again, working with the bank on getting a loan, prob gonna go test drive the car tomorrow, in the mean time my dad found another a4 avant, however its the 2.8 5speed manual, how does it compare to the 1.8t, i figure the 1.8t might be a little more fun and cheaper to fix due to the vw and audi both using the engine

1,135

well, either motor is a vw motor. the 2.8was used in the B5 passat too. you're not really going to have to worry about many motor repairs with either. the 1.8 is pretty bullet proof and if the 2.8 goes there's no way of repairing it.. that being said, if you feel like you are going to modify the car in any way go for the 1.8. if you are satisfied with the power of the 2.8 then its a great motor. the 1.8 out of the box is a little underpowered but can easily be fixed with a performance chip. you will boost the turbo and gain around 50hp 60ftlbs which will make you smile. it will also slightly lower the reliability of the motor and just make you pay more attantion when you get to those high miles. besides that all parts are identicle so pricing and repairs will cost you roughly the same for either car.

I ended up with the 2.8! fun little wagon for sure, looking at some rims at the moment since i only paid 4000 for the beast. already had timing belt changed at 80,000 and it has 123,---, thanks for all the input david

1,135

Cool man, well congratulations! Now look into some suspensions and give it a nice drop. Then some 18s and wheel spacers. Don't really worry about performance upgrades.. there aren't many for the 2.8. Look into an exhaust and some brake upgrades and you've got a pretty clean ride.

think i could get away with keeping it on some 17's ? or do the 18's just look alot better. also, if i got lowering springs would i have to do anything else to the suspension if i just drop it 1.5-2 inches. What is the purpose of the wheels spacers? thanks alot

1,135

you could get away with 17's but the 18's will fill in the gaps a little better. 1.5-2" would do you some good but I am always a bigger fan of coilovers over a strut/spring combo just because you can always adjust how you want it to look. like once the springs settle you can get it exactly where you want it instead of trusting the springs to be exactly right then finding out you just wasted money and want it lower. The wheel spacers will just push the wheels out a little more making them a little flusher with your fender and giving you a wider stance. It helps control and makes you look like a bad ass.