1990 tempo dies while running

40

Asked by Jun 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM about the 1990 Ford Tempo 4 Dr GL Sedan

car runs great until it gets to a certin temp. then it dies. and wont start back up until it cools down. I notice it has no spark after dying. I did a complete tune up and the tfi module on the side of the distriburter. also replaced the coil too. it also seems to be weather related(temp wise)

78,195

Did you also replace the distributor pickup coil in the distributor?

40

yes twice

78,195

Try this: Run engine till failure, disconnect spout connector and try to restart, if engine starts and runs then there is a problem with the ECM, if it still fails to start then you might consider relocating the TFI module from the distributor to someplace on the front core support away from heat as much as possible.

40

spout connector? and the tfi module plugs in and bolts on the side of the distributor with not rome to move it. does this year have the eec module?

78,195

Spout is the little plug you remove in order to set the ignition base timing. When I worked for Ford in the early days of TFI we moved a lot of modules off of the distributor and relocated them to the front core support or an inner fender, we did it so often that I started making up different lengths of wiring harness so I could get it done faster, you only had to make sure that it was grounded really well, and use solder and shrink wrap on the connections. EEC is contained in the ECM on your year. It does have a relay for the ECM main power.

40

ok thank you for you knowledge and i will get back with you on the results soon

40

moved the tfi module and made sure it is grounded very well. car starts and runs great. but when it gets to operating temp bout 10 min after it dies still

78,195

We're the distributor pickup coils new, or were they the ones in the distributors when you replaced them? You are using a good quality TFI module right?

40

pick up coils were new and yes its the "highest quality" after market one because ford one is oboslete.

78,195

Did you disconnect the spout connector just after failure to find out if it then had spark?

40

not yet will try that tonight. could a fusable link possibly be a culperate?

78,195

Fuselinks just burn out they don't go intermittent.

10

HI friend. I the car dies at normal temperature and you let it cool for ten minutes it is the pick-up coil insude the distributor. This hppened to me, I have a 1988 tempo and before hitting the right component I changed the ECM, TFI mod, ignition coil and nothing until one day tyhat the car died and I oppened the distributor and sprayed the pick-up coil with freezer liquied and started back on.