Battery cable splicing.

Asked by Apr 05, 2013 at 05:22 PM about the 1990 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

I wanted to shorted my positive battery cable to reduce resistance so my car would start faster.  I cut a
section of out the middle of the cable, and imagined i would just twist-splice the ends together and use
electrical tape to seal it.   How bad of an idea is this?  Will it get me to the auto parts store to buy a new
cable?  Can you usually buy a short cable with the connections already on, to avoid having to buy a heat
shrink tubing gun, etc... otherwise I'd just use electrical tape again when putting the connection on.  
Thanks.

261,325

What? Your car won't start any fast with a shorter cable. Plus to splice it isn't the safest thing. Purchase the correct length cable for your vehicle! Electrical tape is a bad idea long term. I suggest having a friend drive you to the auto parts store.

102,175

X2 - bad idea on the splice. You would need special tools to crimp an effective splice in a cable that large. Resistance is low on a cable that size and the power flows for a couple of seconds so you're not gaining anything. How much did you remove? You need some slack to allow for engine movement.

3,270

They sell them with the ends in any length you may need. Repost the problem you were originally trying to fix with specifics and we'll help you with that before you do exploratory again.

Those are all better answers than mine, I took it down. What I said was uncalled for and unnecessary. OK, you asked a question because you wanted to learn. No fault in that. But you did pick the username, but I apologize for what I previously had posted. I didn't need to be nasty. We welcome your questions, uh, d~s..come back anytime

71,635

My '94 Escort Wagon's positive battery cable was actually part of the engine wiring harness & not replaceable seperatly. Cutting & splicing battery cables is never a good idea. This will actually create a higher resistance value as electricity must now force it's way through the splice. In addition excess heat may be created because of the splice causing a fire hazard! If you're stranded somewhere & need to get home that's ok. But as a permanent "repair", don't do it. HTH. -Jim

Well said, accurate... as usual for you Jim.

71,635

Thanks for the kind words, David. -Jim

You have taught me a lot. Least I can do is acknowledge it