my entire truck has power, the radio works thelights,ect ,ect) the starter wont begin to turn over and it wont start

5

Asked by Sep 26, 2007 at 04:24 PM about the 1991 Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab 4WD LB

the truck has power the battery has 12.5 ohms i think the lights in the truck work and are on the radio is on and all the head lights and brake lights work when i go to start it is dose nothing
the start wont turn over and the engine wont crank i have no clue what to do i need help
thanks Koda

47,675

Sounds like your starter solenoid. When the starter or starter solenoid goes, you can have all the power in the world attached to it, and it won't send power to the starter to crank the engine. I would take the starter off and replace it.

1,385

i think its your solenoid too. possibly flat spot in starter? heres a fairly esay wayto see if its your solenoid .find an old screwdriver and lay it over the two big posts on your solenoid if your truck turns over then just replace the solenoid it is bad

130

before you buy that starter try one more thing.bypass the regulator mounted on the fender. You can do this with a pair of jumper cables. hook one lead to the positive side of the battery and then touch the other end of the same lead to the side of the regulator that supplies the starter if it cranks your starter is ok and it's you regulator that is the bad component. Be sure the vehicle is in neutral.

85

It is your Starter not doubt you need to go get it rebuilt.

100

Mine does the something and I've replaced the starter ran new hot wire new cylinoid and still won't turn over any ideas

60

unlock the doors, put the keys in the ignition, put the car on the street with a big sign in the back window that reads Take this Ford and Shove it, it wont work for me anymore, only 20bucks as I cant afford to give you anymore. Nick a nevermore ford owner

60

The problem is in the steering column. Remove the ignition starter switch. There is a little stem that sticks out on top.push this all the way forward with ignition on and trick should crank and start.

30

no one has spoke about the inter lock system the battery and starter are good and I can remove the starter relay and jump the starter work fine the truck cables were cleaned with the driver door open after that the truck will not crank

30

the next time you disconnect the battery you need to plug a 9 volt system into the cig lighter in order to keep memory in the ecm

40

Come on people, what's the 1st thing to check,,,(the fuse) Chances are you have a blown fuse. That's what fixed mine.

60

which fuse Guru?

60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHVJrncMC0

10

So I have a Mazda pickup 94 replaced my starter to get into the shop to see what was wrong with it and they said I'm not getting power to my starter battery works lights work radio works blinkers work all lights work just not holding the charge in the starter what could be the issue

10

i can turn the ignition on but it won't start the truck. i hooked a starter button on it it worked for a little bit but now it won't do nothing click or anything and still has power going to everything. any suggestions would be appreciated I'm just a shade tree mechanic and can't afford a shop fee.

40

first, yall need to get something right before posting it.not cranking means the starter motor is not spinning the engine over,so that would mean a no crank no start condition!. if the starter motor is spinning the engine over and not starting the engine,then that means a crank no start condition! that is the first step,and there are different testing procedures for each one!!!

60

thanks for that worthless info Mark.......folks....change those fuel filters, check your fuel pump and or see if your inertia switch has tripped

40

fuel filter,fuel pump and inertia switch has nothing to do with a NO crank,NO start condition!

60

That's funny............I have had 6 Rangers and from the description of the problem that is exactly what it sounds like........your answer was no answer at all.........just a bunch of rhetoric

40

again,the difference(some think/say not cranking means not starting which is false) cranking and starting are two different things,period! here,one more time>>(.not cranking means the starter motor is not spinning the engine over,so that would mean a no crank no start condition!. if the starter motor is spinning the engine over and not starting the engine,then that means a crank no start condition),you savvy? what is the problem with your truck anyways?

Would it be the key? I'm experiencing this, and my key looks like its shot.

40

you are experiencing what? need the year,make,model,engine size of your vehicle and exactly what is happening with it.

Please help. Same problem here! I have a 4c 2.3l 93 ranger with a 96 mazda engine. New battery, new starter. A month later and I'm getting this NO CRANK, NO START issue. First turn of key i get a chirp like sound and spark at the positive battery terminal, then nothing like a fuse has blown. which cuts off power to everything including my alarm system which goes into kill switch mode. So when I try to jump the car from another car and the battery comes to life all the lights are flashing so I need to hit the valet button. when i try to start it again this situation repeats. Is there some kind of fuse or relay that blows and resets itself after a few minutes? When I turn the key I do not get the typical clicking sound that tells you the alternator is bad so my guess is the problem is upstream from the alternator. Possible electrical or ground issue? Could it be the alternator. What about the fender mounted regulator mentioned earlier in the thread? (from other reading i gathered that these rangers had a fender mounted solenoid but the last two starters I've bought had solenoids on them. Thanks!

40

it's the exact same engine for 93 ranger and 96 mazda and yes it has the fender or firewall mounted solenoid/relay. google Part # F492 for a picture of it. it's actually called a Starter Relay,but most call it a starter solenoid(and yes you have a starter mounted solenoid also). if the truck cranks and starts when jump starting,it's a power problem,not a fuse(if a fuse blows,it can't be reset and must be replaced).if your battery has a full charge on it (12.6 VDC),then it's not the alternator. the battery is for cranking the engine,then the alternator takes over supplying voltage where needed and maintaining the charge to the battery. if you get a spark at the positive battery terminal when trying to crank the engine,then suspect a bad/corroded/loose battery cable terminal. just went through this on a 98 ranger with someone trying to fix his problem over the phone and he said battery replaced,starter replaced,voltage good where it should be on starter and ignition switch wire (small wire on starter,his has no fender mounted relay/solenoid),but what he failed to tell me was it would crank and start if jump started. all it was,he finally replaced both battery cable ends (pos and neg terminals that hook to the battery) cranked and started,no problems since. check/clean/tighten them or replace them,if you have any questions,reply back.