91 ford explorer tranny issue

Asked by Sep 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM about the 1991 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

my tranny may be shot i have no forward gears @ all my reverse still works i lost every single forward gear @ once its like they are all neutral... its my winter baeter so its no biggie if i end up parting it out but if its only a couple hundred to fix id rather do that the trucks maybe worth 500 so i dont feel like puttting even half that into it! any one got any ideas?

95

when you put it ion 4wd is there a differecne or still no gears?

205

Hey Nick Sorry bud but thats an a4ld transmission and it sounds like you took out the forward clutch, I imagine it has alot of miles , and a4ld normally arent very rebuildable . if it were mine I would pull the trans pan down, see how many metal shavings are there ,or clutch material, if it looks bad, then look for another trans or part it out. if it doesnt look to bad then post back. Good luck, Dave

no diff in 4wd i dont think its the gears tho. no crazy gind or anything jus a lil snap then nuthin i was rollin slightly down hill ( i could push it faster) put it in drive and snap and a rev. but no go..... im thinkin linkage or ?????????? wtf when i towed it home i guess the angle dis engadged the whatever that was keeping reverse in place with a little wiggle on 1 of the cables reverse came back so im a little lost.... when i put it in drive OD 1 or 2 the engine idol changes like it should but still no go

forward clutch eh? hmmm whats one of those worth? are they hard to put in? ( some what mechanically inclined i am)

no difference @ all

50

If the engine idol chances, try giving it gas.. if the torque converter is locked up, if you give it fuel it may break free, and if it does do that be ready to hit the breaks.. or with the snapping sound, it sounds like your transfer case could be messed up, because if your transfer case is messd up then your transmission could still be fine. You could buy a used transfer case for prob $200-300...

20

try changing the transmission filter my truck had this exact prob as soon as it was replaced it worked fine