2000 Grand Caravan - Wont Change Gears

10

Asked by Oct 09, 2010 at 11:40 AM about the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 4 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

2000 Grand Caravan 3.8L. \r\nI will be driving along and it would appear as though it drops from 2nd or 3rd what ever gear I happen to be in to 1st. From there it will not shift gears. I still have reverse but it will not go from 1st to 2nd ect... If the pull over and turn off the van and start it up again it will work fine (usually). Sometimes for 10 minutes other times for an hour. My father in law took out 2 sensors on the trany one I beleave to be the speed sensor and the other not so sure. He cleaned them up as the one had metal shavings on it plugged them back in and it worked for 1/2 a day and now back to the same thing. Should I replace the sensor or could it be something else?

255

IT sounds to me that the tranny is operating in "Limp" mode. A wonderful thing that the engineers at Chrysler thought would come in handy for whatever reason. Anyway, in addition to what has already been done try cleaning the plug and connector pins that plug into the Transmission Control Module. The plug is usually located on the top of the tranny nearest to the radiator and to the right of the exhaust manifold. It is usually held in place by a 10mm bolt. Loosen the bolt and unplug the harness. Clean it as best you can then add a little bit of dielectric grease to help in keeping moisture out of the connection. I have also been told that it could be a bad ground wire so you may want to check that also. Good Luck!

10

Having the precise problem with my '96 DGC. Wish we knew if the OP was able to fix the tranny and not replace it!!

10

Issue long resolved tranny was going into limp mode. Tranny had to be rebuilt.

50

mine was the shift solenoid on front of tranny . replaced 4 yr. age no problem

20

I replace solenoids in and out with torque converter still not shifting what could it be