2000 dodge grand caravan overheating

40

Asked by Sep 08, 2013 at 01:33 PM about the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 4 Dr ES Passenger Van Extended

2000 grand caravan overheating. new water pump. new thermostat, new hoses, new radiator. fan works  plenty of water/antifreeze in the system and getting circulation.

112,455

Did you completely belch the system? If not air pockets in system could be causing it to still over heat.

40

the only place water is being lost is coming out of the overflow when overheating

40

yes we belched the system and its still overheating

112,455

Did it over heat real bad one time before you started replacing parts? If so might have a blown head gasket. Check oil for a milky look. Also do a compression check.

112,455

Sorry but I just have to ask. Are you sure the thermostat was installed correctly?

40

it actually didnt overheat before. the water pump started leaking and we changed it but it started over heating after the water pump changed. which is why we starting replacing hoses and such. and don't be afraid to ask but yes thermostat was installed correctly.

40

my dads a mechanic and he checked the head gasket really well and said it was still intacted and oil looks good. he is going to try a compression test and change radiator cap because the seals look worn

112,455

Good call. I over looked the radiator cap sorry. It could also be causing the issue you are having.

68,765

Double check the serpentine belt routing. Some water pumps are designed to rotate the opposite direction of the crankshaft. If you installed the belt incorrectly, after the water pump replacement, the new water pump may be rotating opposite the direction it was designed to. HTH. -Jim

7,835

Who ever remaned the pump, could have put on wrong impeller on.

68,765

Or put the impeller on backwards. If the belt is routed correctly, at this point, I'd exchange the water pump. It may be defective. Considering it never overheated before the pump was replaced. HTH. -Jim