I am trying to install an aftermarket radio in my 1992 Ranger

105

Asked by Dec 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM about the 1992 Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab LB

I am trying to install an aftermarket radio in my 1992 Ranger, but the person who had it before me did a hack job on the wiring.  There are two factory plugs in there and one looks like it shouldn't  be there.  There is a rat's nest of wiring including some speaker wire.  The radio the previous owner had installed has been jacked up from the time I bought it (CD player doesn't work at all and you have to push on it to get any sound from the speakers).  Can anybody help me figure out what I might have going on?

89,925

This should be a big help - www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/radio_wiring_diagrams.html - Thanks in advance for the best answer click

Best Answer
1,705

if all else fails, you may want to do a rewire... snip the hack job wires off to where the original wires start, get a wiring kit and reassemble the color codes... when you hook up a new wiring kit, if relable the wires and hook them up straight to the new CD player you are installing... It should be relatively simple fix to be honest. If you're not much of a reader for the link above, my suggestion is to wire one thing up at a time to a new receiver and relabel that wire to left front, right front, left rear, right rear etc.. etc... i had to do that with one of my cars where someone stole the radio out of and cut all of the internal wires. hook up power to the cd player, plug a speaker in see which one it is and then label and start the next one.

105

I'll have to try your link again later tenspeed, they are moving to a new server.

89,925

Thanks Rob - it's working now, just tried it -- www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/radio_wiring_diagrams.html