Help 05 pt cruiser

Asked by Feb 03, 2017 at 09:18 AM about the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

05 pt cruiser.
Replaced battery. And starter.

Car periodically won't start.
Sometime I go days no issues.. run around all over
town.. other days I run five stores at least once
when I come out I put the key in and won't start.
Dash lights. Radio. All come on.  After 20 mins if I
don't have my kids normal it starts up. If I do have
my kids because it's winter, I find someone to jump
it. Within literally the time the cables are on to I
turn the key the car starts up. I just replaced the
computer. And it did it again.. any ideas.

Remove and clean all the battery cables and the cable at the starter. Check to make sure the ground is clean and tight.

That has been done, sorry I should of added that also. This had been an on going issues for over two months, so it's a bit hard of the top my head to remember everything. Sadly. This car seems to be a lemon. It needs a lot of work the seller two months ago never told me.

A PT Cruiser is a glorified Neon and they never were much in the reliability department. If you are absolutely sure that all the cable connections are totally free of corrosion and tight, the starter getting replaced may help. Just a guess on my part....

Been replaced along with the battery. Thanks for your opinion though.

Here's a couple of ideas. As an owner of a PT Cruiser I've learned that they have one battery available in their size and it doesn't last long. Walmart sells one installed for $50 that seems to last for at least a couple of years. The other issue is the ignition switch and the chip in your key. Make sure your key battery is OK in it. If that's OK you may have a problem that requires you tapping on your key a couple of times to make it work. This is the case in other Chrysler products of that vintage. I've read where some people actually take a screwdriver handle and just tap the key while it's in the ignition and the cars start fine. And yes, they seem to have more problems in the winter than they do in the summer. As for Bob and his answer, PT Cruisers seem to be pretty reliable but you just have to maintain them and treat them right like any other car.

had no start problem, mine was the the plastic holder where the key turns when it was cool 70 or less it would start, park in the sun the plastic holder where the key went would expand and the car would not start. changed it myself, watch on utube how to no problem since