PT Cruiser Stops While Driving

30

Asked by Jul 01, 2015 at 02:47 PM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

I have a PT Cruiser Convertible/Turbo with almost 80,000 miles. When I try to start it, I
get nothing. Wait a few seconds and then it starts. This has been going on for a couple
of days. Then today, I was driving and it completely quit, nothing worked, so I coasted
to the side of the road and waited a minute, then it started up. I am afraid to drive it
now. Just replaced air conditioning hoses and water pump. Another problem is in the
summer all of the dashboard lights come on and go off and come back on several
times and twice the car lost power when this happened! I am so sick of this car and
would NEVER buy another PT or Chrysler! Any suggestions??

18,550

First check battery connections making sure they are clean and tight then check connections to starter if they are loose will cause that problem.

30

Yes, we checked that.

18,550

When you say you try to start it and get nothing do you also mean that you do not get any dash lights also? The lights that come in the dash when you turn your key to the on position and go out once vehicle is started.

30

I'm not sure. I don't think that they did, but I can't be certain. The next time it happens, I will watch the dashboard and let you know. Thank you so much for trying to help me. I appreciate it so much.

18,550

Ok make sure that you notice if you are driving and it cuts of if the dash lights go off or stay on as soon as it cuts off.

18,550

After reading your question again I see were you said the dash lights went out then came back on so i am thinking your ignition switch or a bad ground some were. Also have the connection to your computer checked out making sure it's plugged in tight.

30

Actually, this happens while I'm driving. The whole dashboard lights up and the gas gauge goes to empty, then they go off and everything is back to normal. Sometimes this happens 5 or 6 times while I'm driving. But I think it's a separate problem. Only twice when this happened and I was accelerating from a stop, did it lose power for a couple of seconds, but it came back on. This time the power completely went out and nothing would work, steering, brakes, etc. I will watch though and let you know the next time I start it and it doesn't come on. Again, thank you! Oh, and the car is a 2006 convertible. Not a 2004. I was really upset when I was writing the original question.

30

The answer is yes. First the lights on the right and left came on, temperature and mileage, then about 2 seconds later, the middle lights came on, all of the red warning lights. I waited about 10 seconds and tried to start it again and it did. I also want to mention that I just had a new water pump put in and the air conditioner hoses replaced and I just realized that it started doing this the next day.

30

Is it possible that the mechanic didn't tighten something?

18,550

Anything is possible but replacing a water pump and a A.C hose highly unlikely sounds more like you are loosing power to a positive or negative wire.

Best Answer
18,550

Just googled ( Are there any recalls on a 2004 Chrysler pt cruiser ) no recalls for your problem but a lot of complaints about it just cuts off while driving.

30

Thank you for your help. I am having the mechanic who came out to fix my other problems come back tomorrow to see if he can figure out what's happening. He mentioned that he thought it might be the ignition switch. Do you think that's possible?

18,550

That is one thing to consider

18,550

Another is have him look at the toque converter solinold.

18,550

The correct saying is (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid )

18,550

Also have your mechanic do a code scan on your vehicle check engine light may not be on but it may have stored some codes in its memory.

10

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser I just bought that is pretty much doing the same thing except for it starts okay but sometimes the fuel gauge temperature gauge goes crazy the lights go on all the check engine light brake lights in temperature light everything for a few seconds and goes off. What got my wife upset today is going down the expressway almost shut down on her completely then she pulled over best she could shut it off waited a few seconds turned it back on and everything's working ok. It's like it has a short somewhere and doesn't whenever.