Where is the Crankshaft Position Sensor located on a 2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo?

75

Asked by Dec 31, 2013 at 07:33 PM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT

My car recently stalled out and died while driving.  When I tried to restart the car the
ignition would not even engage.  About 6 months prior I took the car into the dealership
when the Check Engine light came on and because the car would idle very rough.  
They said it was a short in some electrical wire and it was fine but still idled rough.  I
don't drive more than 2 miles a day, so I believe it's the Crankshaft position censor, but
it's not easy to locate and replace like the Camshaft position censor was. Can
someone show me a picture, a diagram, anything?  Thanks!!

75

I figured it out, it's on the underside of the alternator. Not an easily accessible place to reach without small arms and a hydraulic lift. Nothing about this car is ever simple. I had a headlight go out on this car the other day, you have to go thru a tiny compartment under the front wheel well to change the bulb, which means you gotta take the damned front tire off to change a headlight. I hope the designers of these cars suffers a horrid death.

10

On a 2004 non turbo the crankshaft position sensor is under the starter. You have to take the starter out. Take the air box out,battery,battery plate,fan mount and partially drain the radiator. That means the grill comes off and radiator support. If your an uncertified mechanic it takes @ an hour and a half. Small part but pain in the butt!

Just changed one on a 2007 PTC. Found that going from underneath would be the best way, but there was not enough clearance between the block and the cooling fan assembly. Pull the top bracket above the radiator with six 10mm bolts, then 6 more easy 10's and the efans will lift right up. After that it's a breeze to replace from underneath. Make sure not to damage the end of the sensor when sliding in place, and always clean the mounting chamber. Hope this helps

so donu think this is my problem anyone.as when I stop at lights it's like it want to quite but hasn't yet