wanting to find out where the access to the fuel pump is on the 2002 touring edition pt. cruiser. trunk, back seat, or not at all.

40

Asked by Aug 31, 2013 at 08:52 PM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

cruiser cranks and cranks but it does not turn over and start. I do not smell fuel at all during this process. could it be anything but the fuel pump. Also, could a diagnostic test tell me the answer?

...okay this picture shows it located in the trunk area under an access flap~

another view~

Best Answer Mark helpful

look where the gas fill is....roughly the same axis as that~

Best Answer Mark helpful

at the fuel rail you could check for pressure at the shroeder valve there...first off when you put the key into the "on" position, do you hear the fuel rail energizing? the shroeder valve looks like a tire valve and will spray at 90 PSI if you activate it~ we will know the fuel pump is working then~

Best Answer Mark helpful

I'm going to go ahead and declare the ignition system is at fault~...because the fuel would have been combusted....but there ain't no spark...so test for +12 volts DC at the coil pack(S) and see if we are powering the high voltage?...if not going to have to have you check the ignition relay (If equipped) and/or ignition fuse or the ignition switch...test for +12 volts where you think it should be energized~

the ignition relay is an elusive one, but the judge found it at rockauto~

the ignition switch seems like a complicated little bugger~ this one may be at fault if tested as such~

40

the six points of advice is going to be checked. it is very apparent that you know your stuff and are a research extraordinaire. I feel I am now going into battle armed and ready. I love these cruisers but did not know they where this complicated. thanks Roy, I also have resources in several areas and you just go ahead and post if you need anything.

a painting by judge_roy aka "Q"~